Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Reintroduction with excuses

Bubbles82

I’m back after along time away from on here and Astro stuff In general. Just looking back it was about August 2016 since I last posted and it’s been a busy 20 months. My last post was my finished obsy and it’s was this that has caused the long break from astronomy. After finishing my build and spending a lot of money I was really happy only to be plagued by technical problems. I spent the winter of 2016-2017 trying to sort these out but after getting things to work during the day only to then fail when it was dark really put a nail in the coffin for me and Astro stuff. I work shifts and get even less time than most to get out and tackle this challenging hobby. So summer of 2017 the obsy gathered dust and became just an object in the garden. September 2017 I went and opened the obsy up to have another go at this and had some success with two short sessions that things worked. October 2017 Determined to get this working consistently I was planning one Monday for the next night being a proper whole night of imaging,only to go into work the next day to be told we’re all being made redundant in 18 months!!!! . Needless to say that pretty much turned everything upside down the thought of going out was long gone. After letting things sink in the proposition of not working shifts and doing something different has now become a positive thought. So in 12 months I’ll be doing something else for a living where I’ll be home every night and when it’s clear I’ll be able to go out and enjoy the sky’s. Fast forward to now and Lots of thought later I have torn down the obsy I had and have started a new project but have kept everything but the wood and wiring as this was my biggest sticking point. Sorry for the long post of a sob story but I was always on here and even had a visit to a fellow members house to help with ideas on how to build my first obsy, and wanted to reintroduce myself. Don’t worry I’ve already had some deliveries from F.l.o last week so I’m fully committed and will start a fresh project over in the obsy section.

Welcome home. You never know whats around the corner but it sounds like your head is in the right place:)

Amazingly frustrating hobby isnt it.... Although its one of the aspects that keeps it fresh for me, nothing handed to you on a plate lol. Best of luck with the reboot?

Simon

28 minutes ago, Simoncwr said:

Welcome home. You never know whats around the corner but it sounds like your head is in the right place:)

Amazingly frustrating hobby isnt it.... Although its one of the aspects that keeps it fresh for me, nothing handed to you on a plate lol. Best of luck with the reboot?

Simon

Thanks for the welcome back, totally agree that a lot of this hobby is about the challenge? Yep never know what’s round the corner but after reflecting on the fact that at 36 I’ve been doing mixed shift shift work since 18 it’s kind of a relief to have my hand forced to move on ?

Yup, sounds like it was time to move on anyway mate. I am 53 and now “retired”, shame my old client base can’t take the hint lol, 3 major changes of career in that time, but each one was a positive experience after getting through the initial teething pains.

Don’t envy you in playing in the dark side though, lmao, you are much braver than me??

Ah man.... talk about dillemas one after the other.... but when you work consistent hours that is way better than shift work.... shift work sux.

I hear you about the technical difficulties, I had my fair share in my obsy to date, so far, all sorted.. so far.... but the trick is to never give up... GOOD LUCK on the new obsy and WELCOME back to the Astro-turf.

Welcome back, Bubbles.

I was made redundant twice in my working life ... and they were the best two things that work ever gave me. I was always one of those people who held firmly to the first law of wing-walking ... never let go of what you have until you have hold of something else ... and I never had the energy to go looking when I actually had a job.

Best wishes for whatever you get to move on to.

Hi and welcome back. 2016 was the time I installed my Obsy. I spent a long time sorting my dome, adding electronics, adding dome drive and it's now running fine. Yes I felt your pain trying to sort out all the issues and niggles to get it all running, but it was worth it. So, we are all here to help, if you need it, and hopefully you can reap the benefits of your labours.

Steve

Archived