sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Also known as the Theta Carinae Cluster, The Southen Pleiades is a very bright open cluster in the Carina constellation. It was discovered by Abbe Lacaille during his visit to South Africa in 1752.  Containing around 60 stars, IC 2602 shines with an overall magnitude of 1.9 and its brightest member is Theta Carinae with a visual magnitude of 2.7. This cluster of young blue stars is relatively close to us at "only" 479 light years.

5 May 2018

9C627407-230D-4D23-A5A4-80FFD0FAD23A.thumb.jpeg.7df7cd3a764ec11e82c9d81903776165.jpeg

The Southern Pleiades ( IC 2602 ) in Carina ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )

Image details:

Orientation: North is up

Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7

Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 

Camera:
Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.91um pixels)

Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )

Capture ( 5 May 2018 ):
14 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/30th sec to 240 sec ) all at ISO250.
( 22 x 240sec + at least 10 each forthe other durations )

Processing:
Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
Integration in 14 sets
HDR combination 

Pixinsight May 2018

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Again, beautiful. Nice to see diffraction spikes. Amazing colour. 

Thanks Paul.

The background is quite a bit darker than I like but I had to hide a rather nasty reflection / lens flare artefact caused by the very bright star Theta Carinae ( +2.7 ).  If I get chance I will reframe and take some more long exposure subs - hopefully this will move the problem to somewhere else in the image and I will be able to eliminate it by sigma clipping or, as a last resort, by cutting out and replacing the 'damaged' portion of the image.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ollyb
      15 hours Integration
      Redcat 51
      AZ EQ6R Pro
      ASI1600mm Pro
      Processed in DSS, Pixinsight & Photoshop 

• By MarsG76
      NGC 6334, an emission nebula and star-forming region located in the constellation Scorpius, also known as the Cat's Paw Nebula, Bear Claw Nebula or Gum 64. The nebula lies at an estimated distance of about 4,350 light-years from Earth.
      This image was taken from my backyard in Bortle 4-5 skies through a 80mm refractor at F6.25 (500mm focal length) with a QHY268M camera through 7nm H-Alpha, SII and OIII narrowband filters.
      Total exposure time was 18 hours and 15 minutes. Subs captured were HII: 15x600s OIII: 21x1200s and SII: 15x1800s @ HGC:62 on multiple nights between 31st May & 11 June 2021.
    • By thomehm
      I am planning to order a custom build 10" F/4 Newtonian from teleskop-express.de (ONTC1010).  I have a Losmandy G11G mount.  I intend to use this setup for Astrophotography.  My current question is about mounting the OTA to the Losmandy mount.  It seems that I have 2 options.  I can have Teleskop Express mount a Losmandy Dovetail on the carbon fiber tube (they say they will add carbon fiber reinforcement to make this very solid), and then mount to the Losmandy mount using the Dovetail attachment.  OR I can use rings purchased from Teleskop Express (TSCR300) to mount the OTA to the Losmandy mount.  I would like some opinions as to which way would be the more solid setup?
      Please Advise,
      Dana

• By Aneko1991
      Hi, I want a telescope and my budget is between 370$ -740$(I want something with a zoom as good as it s possible for this budget). Can you help me to chose one ?
      (buy in the EU)
    • By Humb1e
      Hiya,
      I'm looking a bit of advice / opinions on a telescopes for a beginner, but useful, telescope. 

I've gone through tonnes websites and now seem to find my self going round in circles.......
      I've read that an 8inch dobsonian type will do pretty much everything I want without breaking the bank too much / me outgrowing it very quickly. 
      Main issue is that I'd like to be able to take imagery, whether thats with phone or camera to start I don't know. I understand tracking can be easier with something motorised rather than by hand..... 
      Budget wise, I don't want to spend a small fortune, or, get something I'll need to replace too soon. I'm based South in Manchester, UK, not sure if that has any bearing on choices. 
      It probably needs to be something with low maintenance requirements too. 
      My budget is low at around £300...... Not my decision on this one 😂

Cheers in advance 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.