SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Forget the clouds, satellites are the real problem.....!

michael8554

55 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Is it just me, or are there more satellites than ever zipping through our images?

I'm get about 3 a night at the moment.

One passed right in front of the guide star and sent PHD2 off at a tangent !

Michael

Only 3 ? if you put Stellarium on fast forward you'll see them whizzing around like a plague of flies :grin:

Dave

4 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Is it just me, or are there more satellites than ever zipping through our images?

I'm get about 3 a night at the moment.

One passed right in front of the guide star and sent PHD2 off at a tangent !

Michael

That's nothing, 3 or 4 sats plus 3 planes is about the norm here.

They don't seem to affect the Lacerta guider so I don't worry on that score.

As Ibbo, get at least a dozen subs and they magically disappear in stacking.

In 10 years of imaging I rarely got a trail.

Now anywhere I point I get trails.

I'm aware of the vast cloud of satellites surrounding the earth, and that like my waistline it is growing larger, I'm just curious as to why I'm so unlucky ?

Michael 

I took a binocular out at mid-night last night to have a look around Vega and got 15 criss-crossing my FOV in an hour. Never had that many in such a short time frame before.

Aircraft are the worst problem here, at the junction of three flight paths :(  And there are certainly many more of those recently as well as satellites.  Aircraft are a plague - not only because of their lights but also vapour trails (artificial clouds).  What with all that and the increase in light pollution as more and more streets of houses are built and imaging is beginning to be near impossible.  And that's on the odd occasion when it's not cloudy and the equipment actually works!

1 hour ago, Gina said:

Aircraft are the worst problem here, at the junction of three flight paths :(  And there are certainly many more of those recently as well as satellites.  Aircraft are a plague - not only because of their lights but also vapour trails (artificial clouds).  What with all that and the increase in light pollution as more and more streets of houses are built and imaging is beginning to be near impossible.  And that's on the odd occasion when it's not cloudy and the equipment actually works!

I an in the same boat as you, literally most of the time when i look through the eyepiece the view gets spoiled by a passing plane. Luckily the light pollution isn't bad which is one positive. 

Gosh , that’s ashame so many satellites ☹️ ! Back about 6 years ago i had an IR go through my 18mm EP one night . I honestly though i was going blind ! It was almost an hour before vision got back to normal . I’ve had many to pass through images in my last 10 yrs of imaging . Sad there is so many now ☹️ . 

Ouch, that's horrible! :eek:. Not even sigma stacking could get rid of that.

Another reason to take many short subs rather than a few long ones wrecked by planes.

Yes, that's what I've gone over to.  When I do any imaging.  My enthusiasm has deserted me ATM :(  I think it may come back though - I have some ideas I want to try in the autumn.

here is a 2 min video from 11th May - loads of satellites / space junk /planes etc all night - in fact i cant always determine which are meteors now! interestingly there are also occasional 'tumbling type' satellites which flash intermittently - all sorts of stuff to add to our captures :) mainly interested in meteorites/fireballs though the latter are rare, caught one in about 9 months! (fireball not in this video note)

11th may.mp4 (circa 118mb )

Captured using StarlightXpress All sky cam via FLO - swapped from 180deg to 150deg lens recently due to limited horizon, though bonus of slightly faster lens captures more objects

Last night I was imaging the M84 M86 Galaxy cluster.

Fired up PHD2 and started Looping the guidecam.

First and second 2 second exposures came onto the screen - guess what - a satellite zooming through !

First 6 minute image from imaging camera:

5b013ddb69461_IMG_0002-1.jpg.26dba9d23a93c35ec2f8919258bfbe2d.jpg

Later on these two consecutive images:

5b013e1f218ec_IMG_0004-1.jpg.44d2bc48ffe61424cb13813723e7ef28.jpg

5b013e3e4712a_IMG_0005-1.jpg.33acb7560a5226a1cf7cb961c4143399.jpg

These were at Dec +13h, North at top, so a tumbling object moving west to east ? 

Anyone identify it please?

Oh, I hadn't noticed another in the top right quadrant.

SGL, we need a Satellite Imaging section !

Michael

Archived