NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lots of small scopes used together..

I have, it’s an amazing facility for picking up very faint extensions of galaxies and ne classes if onjects. The coatings on this lenses have super low scatter, enabling much higher dynamic range than other scopes where optical imperfections and dirt lead to scatter. The number of lenses just allows them to obtain data faster or over a wider area. You don’t need a space scope or a >10m class scope tonpush the boundaries... though at £10k/lens it isn’t exactly something you could do in your garden... though you could still do great stuff with the same type of lenses.

Peter

On 29/04/2018 at 10:21, GavStar said:

Heard about something similar two years ago from Jenni Millard then a PhD student from Cardiff; if I remember correctly, Jenni was seconded (I forget the correct term) for 6 months to the Huntsman Array in Australia https://www.facebook.com/AstroHuntsman/ where they are using Canon telephoto lenses too.

Cool stuff, thanks Gavin.

@PeterW is it just an exercise in gathering more light in a shorter time, or are there resolution benefits from covering the larger area? I assume it does hugely improve signal to noise ratio?

No it’s the signal to noise gain due to the lack of lens scatter that is unique, the wide field then allows large and very diffuse things to be pulled in which big scopes have trouble with anyway. Canon is what the dragonfly uses... specific ones with the secret sauce nano coatings on.

Peter 

Archived