SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

sky-watcher az-gti eq mode

dazroome

I see there is now a firmware upgrade allowing the az-gti to be used in eq mode . this is exciting for me as i have a staradventurer as well and could use the wedge from it

with the az-gti to have a full goto  eq mount has anyone done this yet?

• 2 months later...

Is there a way of accurately polar aligning it. There appears to be no provision for a polar scope. If there is I might be tempted. I already have a SA but quite like the idea of a similarly sized mount with go to which can be used for imaging.

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, aquamoon said:

Almost ready to try my setup out. Just need a bolt with a smaller head to anchor the dovetail plate, a counterweight, update the firmware, and hope for clear skies. What do you think? 

I think you have added too much height and flexure with the L bracket arrangement. You should bolt your camera to a vixen dovetail directly or via a lens ring.

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Isn't eq mode driven through the synscan pro application and not to do with the firmware?

The mount is available only as alt az from factory, SW later released a test firmware to allow an update to choose Eq mode in Synscan

However, it also turns the left handed mount to a right handed one, so if your telescope has a fixed dovetail and finder was on top, it will end up at the bottom after update.

• 1 month later...
On 03/10/2018 at 01:00, R26 oldtimer said:

I think you have added too much height and flexure with the L bracket arrangement. You should bolt your camera to a vixen dovetail directly or via a lens ring.

Thanks very much R26OT, that's a good call. Do you recommend a specific vixen dovetail for DSLRs? 

My iPhone SynScan Pro app not recognizing EQ mode. I tried to follow Wolfie6020's video to the letter, save for running SynScan Pro app on iOS, instead of Android. I've taken a series of 4 screen shots showing the sequence of events (from left to right) what happens when I try to connect in EQ mode. The app just goes straight into AZ mode (in about 0.5 seconds), I don't get the option to choose between AZ and EQ mode.  Does the EQ option not exist for iOS? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Skywatcher_AZ-GTI_No_EQ_mode.jpg

12 hours ago, aquamoon said:

My iPhone SynScan Pro app not recognizing EQ mode. I tried to follow Wolfie6020's video to the letter, save for running SynScan Pro app on iOS, instead of Android. I've taken a series of 4 screen shots showing the sequence of events (from left to right) what happens when I try to connect in EQ mode. The app just goes straight into AZ mode (in about 0.5 seconds), I don't get the option to choose between AZ and EQ mode.  Does the EQ option not exist for iOS? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Are you sure you're using the pro version of the App - get the Pro version from that App store and you'll be sorted.

6 hours ago, russp said:

Working on iOS here just as it should but I'm on app version 1.11.3 which is odd because I only downloaded it recently - I'll be careful not to update it !!

Thanks russp, that's very helpful in determining that it does function with iOS, and SynScan Pro 1.11.3. Yeah, I wouldn't go updating the app either! I'll let you know if I get it working. In the interim, I'll try different combinations of software. Updating to iOS 12.1 now. I'm determined to get this to work... my 500mm is waiting! Thanks again.

1 minute ago, aquamoon said:

Thanks russp, that's very helpful in determining that it does function with iOS, and SynScan Pro 1.11.3. Yeah, I wouldn't go updating the app either! I'll let you know if I get it working. In the interim, I'll try different combinations of software. Updating to iOS 12.1 now. I'm determined to get this to work... my 500mm is waiting! Thanks again.

One more question russp - Which MotorBoard software version are you using? I've got 3.16 going on my AZ-GTi. It's not 3.12, but it might make a difference. Cheers.

19 minutes ago, aquamoon said:

One more question russp - Which MotorBoard software version are you using? I've got 3.16 going on my AZ-GTi. It's not 3.12, but it might make a difference. Cheers.

App 1.12.0 works ok too - Motor Board 3.16.A5

2 hours ago, russp said:

App 1.12.0 works ok too - Motor Board 3.16.A5

Super helpful, thanks again russp. I've upgraded to iOS 12.1, re-installed SynScan Pro 1.12.0, running MotorBoard 3.16.A5, and still to no avail. I'll keep trying. 

58 minutes ago, aquamoon said:

Super helpful, thanks again russp. I've upgraded to iOS 12.1, re-installed SynScan Pro 1.12.0, running MotorBoard 3.16.A5, and still to no avail. I'll keep trying. 

Problem solved. I had the wrong version of 3.16.A5 MotorBoard software installed. I've successfully installed "Firmware: AZGTi Mount, Right Arm, AZ/EQ Dual Mode, Version 3.16" and everything is working fine. Noob astronomer fail. Thanks everyone (esp russp) for their help and advice... I owe ya one. 

SkyWatcher_AZ-GTi_Fail_NDT.jpg

Archived