Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Iris and Ghost

Allinthehead

Hi everyone. While most of Europe was basking in the Sun with multiple nights of clear sky, good old Cork was clouded out apart from Friday night. This gave me a chance to play with a shiny new Lacerta auto focuser, which worked very well indeed. I was reluctant to go to bed and leave it focus every hour as for some reason i couldn't get the guiding to pause when focusing and i didn't want to waste a good clear night.

I also added a rotator to my imaging train and while it looked good at first when the focus drifted slightly it led to star issues in the bottom right corner. Tilt possibly?

The hot young star V380 Cep (mag. +7.1) at the center of the Iris illuminating the dust and gas that surrounds it, believed to have ignited just 5,500 years ago, lies approx 1,300 light-years distant and has a spatial diameter of 7 light-years. 

It was discovered by Sir William Herschel on October 18, 1794 in the constellation Cepheus.

Imaging telescope:Takahashi Epsilon 130d

Imaging camera:Zwo Asi 071

Mount:SkyWatcher AZ EQ6

Software:Sequence Generator Pro Seqence Generator Pro

Filter:IDAS LPS P2 Hutech

Resolution: 4884x3223

Dates: April 20, 2018

Frames: IDAS LPS P2 Hutech: 80x180" -20C

Integration: 4.0 hours

Darks: ~30

Flats: ~50

Bias: ~50

Avg. Moon age: 4.77 days

Avg. Moon phase: 23.64%

Bortle Dark-Sky Scale: 4/5

RA center: 317.042 degrees

DEC center: 68.202 degrees

Pixel scale: 2.292 arcsec/pixel

Orientation: 179.897 degrees

Field radius: 1.863 degrees

Locations: Back Garden, Cork, Ireland

Stacked in APP, Processed in APP, PI and PS

Iris

5adc64494284f_IrisFinal.thumb.png.e11ed17b78fffdb4fa04c54e909881c8.png

Jpg

5adc64f18aff7_IrisFinal.thumb.jpg.115e0b25ca7a6b6ad16b7bf7544b2ae2.jpg

Richard.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a smashing image.  This was one of my targets last week at camp, but due to mount misbehaviour, I had to go where I could find a target.

The reprocess looks less noisy than the original when you go into full resolution.

Carole 

37 minutes ago, carastro said:

What a smashing image.  This was one of my targets last week at camp, but due to mount misbehaviour, I had to go where I could find a target.

The reprocess looks less noisy than the original when you go into full resolution.

Carole 

Thanks Carole.

11 hours ago, gorann said:

An exceptionally pleasing image, and like Sara I like it with the ghost in the right direction.

Thanks Gorann. 

10 hours ago, carastro said:

Yes I prefer the Ghost the right way up too, I find it really difficult to look at images the wrong way around, ones that I am familiar with at least.  

Carole 

I know what your saying. You feel the need to tilt your head to make sense of it. Sometimes it does lead to a new perspective however.

On 26/04/2018 at 05:09, Rodd said:

Version 1 for me--I like the FOV and the processing is great.  Well done.

Rodd

Thanks Rodd.

14 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Super. This is a tricky but rewarding target. Really nicely done.

Olly

Thanks Olly. I'll return to this when dark skies are back.

14 hours ago, tony210 said:

Great image!- Version 1 for me!- lovely star fields and subtle nebulosity-great processing- Tony 

Thanks Tony. Version 1 seems to be the consensus.

I found the ghost incredibly challenging to process - and with far less data than this. A great result. Like most I prefer the ghost the right way up (but as a physicist I have to challenge myself as to which was really is "up" in the universe!).

Isn't it fun to look back at our earlier attempts and realise just how much we have progressed since then! Sadly I deleted most of my earliest attempts through embarrassment!

10 hours ago, peter shah said:

Oozing quality....lovely dusty, deep and great star colour

Thanks Peter i appreciate that.

9 hours ago, Petergoodhew said:

I found the ghost incredibly challenging to process - and with far less data than this. A great result. Like most I prefer the ghost the right way up (but as a physicist I have to challenge myself as to which was really is "up" in the universe!).

Isn't it fun to look back at our earlier attempts and realise just how much we have progressed since then! Sadly I deleted most of my earliest attempts through embarrassment!

Thanks yes the embarrassment of early efforts although as you say good for measuring progress. I'll never forget the first time i captured a feint whisp of the Milky Way at 50mm. I stared at it for hours and couldn't believe it was possible.

You've reminded me about this effort last year with 3 times as much data.

5918d5694da4c_Iris12hrcopy.thumb.jpg.4170e547ddf21ac94a764e06955bf0a3.jpg

Very, very nice image of the Iris Richard. Congratulations.

I think the very low read noise and dark current of CMOS sensors let OSC Astro cameras to perform at very high levels now. The details in the dust are amazing.

Is your camera the Pro version?

Regards,

Alfredo

Hi Alfredo thanks i'm glad you like it. 

11 hours ago, Alfredo Beltran said:

I think the very low read noise and dark current of CMOS sensors let OSC Astro cameras to perform at very high levels now.

I think you're correct, of course it helps that it's attached to quality optics.

This is indeed the pro version. I had the standard version which wouldn't go beyond -5 without fogging up so i availed of the upgrade service.

Good!

How does it perform now?

Id like to buy one to use with my C925 EdgeHD and hyperstar (f2.3), for RGB and narrow band (yes with an OSC since I’ve done it successfully with that combo and the DSLR). It can be done drizzling the es channel.

Alfredo

Archived