Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Esprit 100 or Takahashi 106 ???

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Any idea what the back focus would be with the Riccardi ?

It would depend on the OTA it's going on John.  It's fixed with the SW one as it is designed for the specified OTA.  Below info from TSE is a rough guide:

-- TS Triplet APO 80/480mm / APM Apo 80/480mm / Lomo APO 80/480mm: 81mm
-- APM APO 80/500mm: 80.7mm
-- TS Triplet APO 90/600mm: 76.2mm
-- TS Triplet APO 102/700mm: 75.6mm
-- APM/LZOS Apo 100/800mm: 74.6mm
-- APM/LZOS Apo 106/650mm: 75.6mm
-- APM Apo 107/700mm: 75.6mm
-- TS Triplet APO 115/800mm / APM/LZOS Apo 115/805mm: 74.5mm
-- TS Triplet APO 130/780mm / APM/LZOS Apo 130/780mm: 74.6mm
-- TS Triplet APO 130/910mm: 73.5mm
-- APM/LZOS APO 130/1200mm: 71.5mm
-- TS Triplet APO 152/1000mm / Skywatcher Triplet APO 152mm: 74mm
-- APM / TS 152/1200mm dublet Apo: 70.4mm
-- APM/LZOS APO 152/1200mm: 71.4mm
-- TEC 140/980 Apo: 74 mm
-- GSO / TS/ASTROTEC RC telescopes: 74mm

On 3/30/2018 at 20:18, RayD said:
On 3/30/2018 at 19:44, Jkulin said:

It would depend on the OTA it's going on John.  It's fixed with the SW one as it is designed for the specified OTA.  Below info from TSE is a rough guide:

Hi Ray, Apologies for the late reply, so even if I purchased a Riccardi the back focus would still be 55mm? Not that it is a problem but it may prove an interesting upgrade at a later date.

Bit late to this party but as an owner of one FSQ, and user of an identical one sitting next to it and belonging to Tom O'Donoghue, I'd go for the Esprit over the new FSQ EDX Tak. However, my favourite 4 inch scope is the older FSQ106N. It doesn't have the posh looking but dodgy captain's wheel and the older design is not so plagued by focus-temperature drift as the ED version. Also the older fluorite Taks predate Tak's more recent difficulties with quality control. These are real. I've been 'hands on' with two new but troubled Taks here and I know the owners of several others.

So I'd go for an old 106N for preference but that would still be a bit dearer than the Esprit. The older Tak cannot take the reducer but maintaining focus on a 106EDX at F3.6 doesn't appeal to me.

The Esprit would also do me fine but for the fact that we use full frame chips.

Olly

1 hour ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Ray, Apologies for the late reply, so even if I purchased a Riccardi the back focus would still be 55mm? Not that it is a problem but it may prove an interesting upgrade at a later date.

No problem at all John.  No it definitely wouldn't be 55mm, it would be nearer to 75 (ish) I would think, but as your specific FR/FL isn't noted, it would need a bit of experimentation.

Thanks Sara, I saw it, but at £450 it was just at the wrong time as I have got to put my pennies away for the Moravian which Zoltan tells me will be in stock in May, so furiously putting everything I can to pay for it.

Maybe someone said it already, but why do you not get two Esprit sitting side by side and still save money?

You get twice the data - but then I did not include the costs of an extra camera of course.

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Maybe someone said it already, but why do you not get two Esprit sitting side by side and still save money?

You get twice the data - but then I did not include the costs of an extra camera of course.

A mini-array!

Just in case anyone was wondering......

After much deliberation..................

Soul searching............................

Piggy bank raiding..........................

Selling on here anything I may not need in the near future........................

I ordered the Takahashi FSQ 106 EDX4.

Reasoning was two fold 

1. Its the best - albeit at a price

2. There are nae pockets in a shroud. :happy7:

I asked the 4 Tak retailers in the UK what would happen if there were any QC issues and I was satisfied with the responses but not the delivery dates - Oct onwards !!!! Then found one in stock at RVO.

4 hours after I paid the deposit - FLO posts on here that they have become Tak dealers !!! You couldn't make it up could you ??? I would MUCH rather have bought it from FLO but there we are.

It should be delivered sometime this coming week - then I have about 4 months to get everything sorted before proper darkness returns this far North.

11 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Selling on here anything I may not need in the near future........................

Reasoning was two fold 

I asked the 4 Tak retailers in the UK what would happen if there were any QC issues and I was satisfied with the responses but not the delivery dates - Oct onwards !!!! Then found one in stock at RVO.

4 hours after I paid the deposit - FLO posts on here that they have become Tak dealers !!! You couldn't make it up could you ??? I would MUCH rather have bought it from FLO but there we are.

It should be delivered sometime this coming week - then I have about 4 months to get everything sorted before proper darkness returns this far North.

Classy stuff you were selling!

There are Tak sellers in EU who would probably have had your 106 in stock, but it's nicer to buy from the UK. 

14 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Reasoning was two fold 

RVO are great to deal with, so I doubt you'll have any regrets. And they can can actually be contacted by telephone, as can Ian King and True Technology. :grin:

Congrats on the new scope,  just in time for the summer ?, having just bought the 120 esprit i think we may have to wait a few months to put them though there paces.  Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Clear skies

Mark 

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

RVO are great to deal with, so I doubt you'll have any regrets. And they can can actually be contacted by telephone, as can Ian King and True Technology. :grin:

I can attest to RVO's customer friendliness. Wish @FLO had a phone contact policy for immediate & more direct communication. 

18 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

You are forgiven :smile: 

Steve 

9 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

Congrats on the new scope,  just in time for the summer ?, having just bought the 120 esprit i think we may have to wait a few months to put them though there paces.  Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Clear skies

Thanks Mark

I wont even be thinking about it until August - partly no real darkness now and also we have a seasonal business which involves LONG hours from April to August but endless time off during the winter :-)  It also gives me time to sell some more body parts for the Prima Luce scope rings and Losmandy plates !!

6 hours ago, FLO said:
On 4/15/2018 at 18:26, Skipper Billy said:

You are forgiven :smile: 

Steve 

Thank Goodness !!! I will still be a customer when you get the reducer and custom made adapters to save pratting about adjusting scope to sensor distances  :happy7:

12 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Thanks Mark

I wont even be thinking about it until August - partly no real darkness now and also we have a seasonal business which involves LONG hours from April to August but endless time off during the winter :-)  It also gives me time to sell some more body parts for the Prima Luce scope rings and Losmandy plates !!

Another Primaluce fan!

Archived