Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Words Words Words

impactcrater

I know you are all erudite and not aphrodite....perhaps....

I want you to hit me with the origins of the words we use continuously in astronomy...to my failing I discovered that the word "astronomy' does not come from the Latin astro meaning star and nom/nym meaning name in Latin but from the Greek astron/star and nomos/law or rule

over to you Oh clever ones....

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Galaxy is derived from the Greek galaxias, meaning milky, hence Milky Way.

Zodiac - from ancient Greek for cycle/circle of little animals. 

But perhaps the most interesting etymologies are those of the stars.  Betelgeuse, for instance could be from the Arabic ibt al-jauza (armpit of the central one!) or bait al-jauza (house of the twins (nearby Gemini)).

Amongst the finest names of stars must be Zubenelgenubi and Zubeneschamali.  Although in Libra, they represent the claws of adjacent Scorpius, so the former means southern claw, the latter, northern claw (Arabic).

Lots of interest to be found in this topic I reckon!

Doug.

I'm no expert, but a lot of the terms used by imagers must have origins in France.

I say this because often you will hear a string of phrases muttered, followed by "excuse my French!"

Astrology pre-dates ancient Greece, so i'm guessing there is some Sumerian word for it somewhere.

Intriguing topic, will follow with interest.

7 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I always smile when people say 'Milky Way Galaxy'. :icon_biggrin:

Me too!

I think that i’m about to get some chocolate ?

Good thread!

Paul

PS. I hope to add something useful to the thread later. It’ll take a bit of a run up to join the ‘clever ones’ this morning.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

some of the humorous modern acronyms

I think scientists go out of their way to create acronyms like that.

When I was at college, I was engaged in a project which included measuring how fine the sand on Formby beach was in various locations populated by polychaete worms. We couldn't find the proper name so we called it the Distribution Of Sand Sizes Index, or 'DOSS index' for short.

The Greek origin for our words seem less obvious than e.g. Latin? But
therein we are often spared?! With Particle Physics discovering heavy
quarks came "Fnar" terms like "Naked Bottom" & "Open Top"! Worse
still, the inversions therof? Better stick to Greek (Latin) nomenclature? :p

Not sure of relavance here, but made my *inner schoolboy* chuckle:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/59544/11-naughty-sounding-scientific-names-and-what-they-really-mean

:D

15 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

Ah of course. The root for lactic, lactose etc!

Indeed - Via Lactea, the Milky Way.

Scary statistic: our Sun takes about 240 million years - 240 MILLION YEARS! - to orbit the galactic centre.  

Doug.

5 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Indeed - Via Lactea, the Milky Way.

Scary statistic: our Sun takes about 240 million years - 240 MILLION YEARS! - to orbit the galactic centre.  

Doug.

Pah, a mere blink of an eye ;)

20 hours ago, impactcrater said:

I know you are all erudite and not aphrodite....perhaps....

Come again!!!!. 

All i know is that most words/names and terms we use today in astronomy come from Greek/Latin and Arabic. Probably most so from Arabic.

8 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

You mean I'm going to have to wait that long to see the bits of scenery I missed while I was asleep last night:eek:?

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

You mean I'm going to have to wait that long (240 million years) to see the bits of scenery I missed while I was asleep last night:eek:?

No - it's going by so slowly that you'll be able to catch it again tonight!  :happy11:

Doug.

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

And then there are those terms which are so delicious that you have to turn them over in your mouth and pronounce them aloud for the sheer joy of it...

I think that the use of such terms needs to be “thoroughly thought through” (stolen from a Stephen Fry novel.)

Archived