NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Losing the love

sockgoblin

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Moonshane said:

I feel your pain. Just took this from my kitchen window looking toward South East, being the darkest bit of the garden. It's my main motivation for moving to a house with a larger garden albeit North facing. It backs onto a wooded area and I think I can create a small obs tucked away at the end. My wife has reasons which outnumber mine so I think we'll be happy there. It has a workshop (sorry garage) too for making my dobs etc.

I took to solar and love it. My neighbour can shine their light all they like as nothing bests the sun for light pollution.

15168324154191892269405.jpg

flipping eck!...I will stop wingeing now.

I wouldn't (really) mind if it was on a timer but they switch it on manually and then forget to turn it off again for hours at a time. I basically go back indoors if that happens. I have chatted with them before and even helped them chop down trees and put a fence up, discussing my interest with them many times. I have concluded they are stupid, ignorant or at best forgetful.

8 hours ago, Moonshane said:

I wouldn't (really) mind if it was on a timer but they switch it on manually and then forget to turn it off again for hours at a time. I basically go back indoors if that happens. I have chatted with them before and even helped them chop down trees and put a fence up, discussing my interest with them many times. I have concluded they are stupid, ignorant or at best forgetful.

If they are fairly OK (sounds like you've cooperated on stuff before) is it possible to ask if you could drop them a message/whatsapp/SMS etc if the light is on to get them to kill it off? Always worth trying to get them to take a look if you haven't already tried - the moon is always a winner.  

I know how depressing it is - I live in central London, and at the end of our garden is a school which is lit up like a Christmas tree all night. And now some new flats are going to be built alongside to add to the fun. So utterly hopeless is the situation that I don't bother worrying about what I can't see. I just focus on what I can.

Moon, planets, a few open clusters and double stars.

Occasional trips to see my mother and parents-in-law (the latter in the Yorkshire Dales). 

Solar ha, which I love.

Annual holiday somewhere dark - with the best telescope I can pack into aircraft cabin baggage.

And who knows - at some stage in the future maybe a night vision device will be a viable option?

I'm insanely jealous of anyone who can see galaxies and nebulae from their back garden. But I'm so far from achieving such luxuries that it doesn't put me off. To be honest, even if I could only view the moon with a £200 telescope and a couple of cheap plossls, I would still find the hobby worthwhile.

Archived