Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Standing a mount tripod on the lawn?

ChrisEll

4 hours ago, Jkulin said:

When I used to use a tripod it was useful to be able to line up to Polaris as near as possible, so once I had good alignment I used these bases to drop my tripod in each time, saved an awful lot of time in pitch blackness.

Thank you. I was wondering about the size of the flowerpot bases.were they placed upside down and covered with grass. I'm just trying to visualise exactly how it would look. 

Thanks

Mark 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 for flowerpot saucers. Before I had an observatory I used a mobile HEQ5 and the plant pot saucers were perfect - worked well - cheap - frost proof.

The hole in the middle was just the right size for the tripod feet.

I sank them into the grass partly for stability but mainly so the lawnmower didn't catch them. (more worried about polar alignment than the lawnmower!!) ?

I dont have any photos sorry!

2 hours ago, markclaire50 said:

Thank you. I was wondering about the size of the flowerpot bases.were they placed upside down and covered with grass. I'm just trying to visualise exactly how it would look. 

Thanks

Mark 

Just lower them into a dug out piece of lawn with them the right way up so the feet can drop in.

44 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

No, I painted them green, putting the grass back would defeat the object

So, does that mean you can see three shallow indentations in the lawn? If so, I'm thinking of some 'grasslike' material I could put into them just for appearances which I could remove when needed. Camouflage basically! 

Archived