SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Tak

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pig said:

Has anyone tried a Quark in the DL for Visual ? I am thinking with the extra focal length of the DL the magnification may be a tad on the high side, with my 32mm TV giving 118X , whereas the DF would be a more useful 84X?

I do think the DL might be just that bit too long f/l to regularly get the best out of a Quark. Best results I had were probably with a TV85 or 106mm triplet (which was 690mm f/l)

Cheers guys .... A rethink is needed ..... I did do a trial with my Quark and found that when going over 100X and the view started to get a little soft.... I think theTAK DF will be the one I go for ....  a complete circle ⭕️ ?

2 minutes ago, John said:

I guess my Vixen ED102SS with a focal length of 663mm would be ideal for use with a Quark, if I ever get the chance to try one :icon_scratch:

Yep, would work well. You wouldn't get full disk views but part disk at powers that should be manageable with normal seeing.

4 hours ago, jetstream said:

The 100DF Shaun? The shorter tube just might come in pretty handy, great choice!

Thank you Gerry, yes I think the shorter tube will perform better with the Quark ?

After many questions to many folk I decided on the DF with the micro-focuser, clamp and dovetail. All being well I should receive the scope by the end of next week :hello2:

I wanted to keep the scope as OEM as possible and if the seeing allows any chance of very high magnification I will not have to be in the position of  "I wonder" about the focuser.

All I have to do now is sneak it into the house without the better half noticing (like there is any real chance of that happening)

Once again I would like to thank you all for your honesty that has helped me make a more tailored decision :hello:

Well done Shaun.

To stop the better half finding out where her dress and shoes money has been spent. You will have to try and intercept the postman before they knock the door, and then sneak the Tak into your man cave?

I think the Tak could be a wise decision for you. With both night time capabilities and solar , then a capable two in one scope for you.

Also most likely the Tak will be a scope for life, so a good investment?

1 hour ago, Pig said:

All I have to do now is sneak it into the house without the better half noticing (like there is any real chance of that happening)

That's easy Shaun, you have just sold a larger (and clearly, by definition, more expensive) scope, so this is just a smaller one to keep you going surely?

On 25/01/2018 at 11:39, Stu said:

That's easy Shaun, you have just sold a larger (and clearly, by definition, more expensive) scope, so this is just a smaller one to keep you going surely?

I haven't sold it as yet Stu.... but I will remember this wonderful excuse, it goes to show being economical with the truth comes quite naturally to some of us :icon_biggrin:

8 minutes ago, Pig said:

I haven't sold it as yet Stu.... but I will remember this wonderful excuse, it goes to show being economic with the truth comes quite naturally to some of us :icon_biggrin:

I call it self preservation ;) 

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

Well done Shaun.

To stop the better half finding out where her dress and shoes money has been spent. 

Very true and thank you Simon, one question. What about my dress and shoes money ??‍♀️

Three score years in June. So I was thinking a Tak would be a nice rest-of-life scope being light to carry and having proven optical excellence. 

My heart says DL ? but head ?says DF. :happy6: Heart wins, as usual . Wallet gone into denial. The DL is perhaps more of an investment, so dodgy justification ?

I’ve allso bought a shiny new clicklock diagonal  and a 2” - 1.25” clicklock adapter.... just one eyepiece missing which is probably a 3-6 or 2-4 Nagler Zoom, unless you all have any other high power suggestions ? whichever it is to be will have to wait until I sell my 110mm frac, unless I keep it for solar use ?

Oh yes, I purchased all the kit from Trutek in the end.

Nick gave me a very good deal considering what I purchased and from my brief experiences with him I suspect he knows everything there is to know about Taks..... fantastic fella ?

10 minutes ago, Pig said:

Oh yes, I purchased all the kit from Trutek in the end.

Nick gave me a very good deal considering what I purchased and from my brief experiences with him I suspect he knows everything there is to know about Taks..... fantastic fella ?

With longer FL eps you can get lower mags still. My 55 & 40mm eps give good rich field views in my 900mm fracs. 

11 minutes ago, 25585 said:

With longer FL eps you can get lower mags still. My 55 & 40mm eps give good rich field views in my 900mm fracs. 

Yes, wide field views do take some beating... my little WO 66 does a remarkable job of them when taking it size into consideration ?

Archived