SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My new APO 80mm

I just had to show it off; I'd rather be outside looking through it, but too cloudy. First impressions are pretty darn good. It's a beautiful instrument, the fit and finish are superb. This is the 20th Anniversary Edition GT81 f/5.9 81mm APO refractor from William Optics. It has a two speed Crayford 2" focuser, with a 1.25" adapter. It comes with a small "shoe"-like dovetail bar, and a carry handle that also mounts a set of rings large enough to hold a 9x50 finderscope or guide scope. Just to see how it looks, I installed the 9x50 finder from my Edge 8", and will probably leave it on the frac, since I rarely use it on the SCT. The dovetail bar is barely long enough for the two large tightening screws on my AVX mount to grasp, there is no room to move the OTA forward or back on the mount to assist in balancing once all the accessories are attached. It is threaded so a longer dovetail bar can be attached. The telescope is only 17" long with the dew shield retracted, and weighs around 8 pounds. It comes with a soft case with a fitted closed-cell insert, and the William Optics logo is nicely embroidered on the cover.

I also purchased the field flattener/reducer for this scope, it makes it a f/4.7 when used, and so far as I can tell, the reducer is for AP only, it comes with an adapter ring for a Canon T-mount, which can be unscrewed; the threads are then correct for a Nikon T-mount, but there is no means to place an eyepiece in the reducer. The reducer is threaded on the end that inserts into the 2" focuser barrel along the last few mm, but it has a broad sleeve with the safety recess that fits very snugly in the focuser tube. With the three thumbscrews snugged against the brass collar inside the focuser, there is absolutely no free play to be had. Very solid.

I also tried a variety of my EP's and accessories, they all fit well and without any movement once tightened. I can't wait for a nice, clear night to try out this marvel. I have a side-by-side dovetail bar coming so I can mount this alongside my Edge.

DSC00044 (2).JPG

oooh....... I'm very envious, always like to see a bit of new gear.    That finder bracket is a bit 'art-noveau'.  

Something so good looking and a Christmas purchase generates  at least  72 hours of stratocumulus.

5 hours ago, Craney said:

That finder bracket is a bit 'art-noveau'.  

Yeah, it seems a bit over the top,  but I suppose it's the best way to allow for most any finder/guide scope the user might want. The rings will remove from the carry handle if you don't want to use them.  I may end up buying a set of mounting rings rather than stay with the foot-style dovetail bar, just for more latitude with mounting. I have a dual mount on the way, so I can mount the frac with my SCT. It will still be less than the max weight for the AVX, but probably past the point of good performance for AP. Gonna give it a try, though, before making any more decisions.

I've just had a re-look at that bracket..... it is a carry handle as well,  so multi-functional,  even nicer when kit does more than one job.

As you know I have re-discovered the joys of an SCT.   Careful with the balance, a bit of time spent fine tuning the turning forces makes your sub-frames more usable.   Look forward to your results. 

Sean.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 15:48, ronin said:

Is that a Red one or have WO added a Bronze ??

Didn't they used to have a thermometer on the focuser - close to totally useless but it was a talking point :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:.

That is the red. I really wanted it in gold, but couldn't find the deal with the included flattener/reducer in that color. Only blue or red. Heck, they all look good.

The GT71 is the one with the thermometer in the focuser knob.

Archived