Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Early winter gems.

cotterless45

At this time of year and taking us through winter are some targets , often overlooked , that I wait with expectation to visit. Here's a few favourites,

M67 in Cancer. It's delightfully compact and near to Praesepe (M44) , look closely for wide binaries here .

NGC 2419 in Lynx, the "intergalactic wanderer". This faint globular cluster is the furthest target visible in our galaxy . It's some 300,000 light years and 12.3 billion years old. Look for a glimmer at the end of a chain of stars . Gemini up and Lynx is off the top.

NGC 2301 in Monoceros , the open cluster discovered by Herschel and nicknamed " Hagrid's Dragon" . It's very dragon like with outstretched wings. It'll fill the fov at x100. I remember Calvin seeing it for the first time at SGL and rushing over to tell me !

Beta Monocerotis, its bright and I think , the finest triple in the sky.( SAO 133317)

NGC 2169   The "37" cluster , look for the binary star at the end of the "3". As we're up there catch Meissa at the top of Orion and what a view. Drop straight down from Alnitak and you'll hit the splendid triple of sigma Orionis, lovely. I could mention Keid in Eridanus , flowing away from the base of Orion .

"Tegmine" ("Tegmine"), Zeta (16) Cancri, a multiple star, but look closer and there's a tiny close secondary making this a beautiful and challenging triple.(SAO 097645). Definitely my favourite star , don't miss it !

"Winter Albireo " two challengers here , h3945 in Canis Major (SAO 173349)and iota Cancri, ( 08h46.7m. +28 46') both rich in colour , in case you're missing the Albireo fix !

"Hind's Crimson star " ( " vampire star") , variable ,but at it's best , just stunning in Lepus that Orion stands upon (SAO 150058).

Any other favourites are welcome , especially those overlooked ! 

clear skies ! Nick.

Inspiring as always. This time last year I'd seen none of these, now I recognise a lot of them. 

Can anyone help me here? I would like to keep this to use in January, when Orion is better placed for me. What is the best way to find this post then? Putting Orion or Winter into the search engine won't be much help. Is there a trick I can use? (I assume posting here will make it easier for me to find)

3 hours ago, domstar said:

Can anyone help me here? I would like to keep this to use in January, when Orion is better placed for me. What is the best way to find this post then? Putting Orion or Winter into the search engine won't be much help. Is there a trick I can use? (I assume posting here will make it easier for me to find)

Cut and paste it into a text file and leave that on your desktop.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived