Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can you see the Milky Way?

nitram100

On a very clear night, can you see the Milky Way from your back garden?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. On a very clear night, can you see the Milky Way from your back garden?

Just wondering, as i've never seen the Milky Way in my whole life!

(I live in London)

Also, my Grandmother told me the other day that she remembers seeing the Milky Way from East London in the 50's, light pollution has come a far way hasn't it? :x

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except when there's lunar interference, I can easily see the Milky Way every night.. even the faint Ophiuchus arm between Beta and Sigma. I live out in the country though, about 325 miles north of my hometown of Chicago.. you're lucky to see the Full Moon down there. :D

Most nights!! At least until them horrible street lights get installed :D

The Spanish builders have actually installed ""Round dome lights with white light"" along one road about 1.5 k from me, an yet the rest of that estate sodium is used :shock:

Looks like a runway at Gatwick. :D

We have one English neighbour who does nothing but complain about the lack of "street lights/speed bumps" down our road, Believe me when i say, It's so quiet there that people call it "Gods Waiting Room" :(

Jeff.

I just see a faint hint of it running through Cygnus.

I've seen the Milky Way in all its glory as it should be seen from dark sites and my back yard view is abysmal in comparison so I voted no.

Best view of it I've ever had was in the middle of the Indian Ocean when I was a marine engineer in the merchant navy many years ago. Scorpio and Sagittarius were directly overhead. That was the blackest, most starry lit sky I've ever seen and probably never see again.

I can see it on a good night from 1 mile inland of the English channel. Near Worthing, West Sussex.

My best view ever of the skies was from a liveaboard dive boat in the southern Red Sea. We slept on deck every night under the stars. There were so many infact, that i had trouble recognising constellations because they all seemed to have too many bright stars!

No chance here in Basildon Essex, see a few stars is all on a good night lol . my holiday home in Suffolk reveals the milky way , but only slight, Kelling for me last year was an eye opener ,to see the milky way so vivid , a truely amazing sight. must make imaging a piece of cake with skies like that

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Rog

Although i live in a town luckily my garden has no street lights shining into it and a lot of new lights which only illuminate the ground and not the sky have been installed lately so the milky way is always visible,sky conditions permitting that is,also M33 is a reasonably easy visual target on good nights and is one of the objects i use as a guide to how good the limiting magnitude is,if i can see it then a good night is ahead. :thumbright:

Archived