Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can you see the Milky Way?

nitram100

On a very clear night, can you see the Milky Way from your back garden?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. On a very clear night, can you see the Milky Way from your back garden?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, when it's clear and no moon - for the first time in what seems like (probably is ...) months, it's been nice and clear tonight - good Milky Way from Cassiopeia to Cygnus, but total orange yuk below Altair Last night I couldn't see the Milky Way for drifting contrails.

I've just packed up because the moon's rising and the clouds have rolled back in. Again. :smiley:

Louise

SW London.... No. Parents in NE London.... definitely No. I have occaisionally glimpsed it when away from home. I experinced the 'why is the cloud not moving' and 'where have the constellations gone, there are too many stars' ONCE.... I'd quite like to repeat that experince!

Cheers

PEterW

I moved deliberately into the country for Astronomy (well, ok, it was the second consideration after the missus saying she liked the house!)

There is not a street light for about 2-3 miles from here, and the nearest town is 5 miles away - its a little dark spot in the middle of East Sussex. Yes, I can see the Milky Way most nights, and on a really lovely night its quite clear. There is still some light pollution though, Lewes, Haywards Heath, Uckfield and Burgess Hill are about 5 miles away, and do contribute. The nice thing is my horizon is limited so those areas are behind the house, trees or next door :smiley:

I hear it can be even better though from a truly dark site (i.e. middle of the ocean/sahara), and one day I hope to find out! Is that true?

Cheers,

Richie

I moved deliberately into the country for Astronomy (well, ok, it was the second consideration after the missus saying she liked the house!)

There is not a street light for about 2-3 miles from here, and the nearest town is 5 miles away - its a little dark spot in the middle of East Sussex. Yes, I can see the Milky Way most nights, and on a really lovely night its quite clear. There is still some light pollution though, Lewes, Haywards Heath, Uckfield and Burgess Hill are about 5 miles away, and do contribute. The nice thing is my horizon is limited so those areas are behind the house, trees or next door :smiley:

I hear it can be even better though from a truly dark site (i.e. middle of the ocean/sahara), and one day I hope to find out! Is that true?

Cheers,

Richie

Yeah, my lad lives out in the sticks in Australia and the night skies there are truly stunning. You can not only see the Milky Way but globs are plain as day too, and that's with my old eyes. Oh and Scorpio stands out as much as Orion does here, it's one of those 'an idiot couldn't mistake that' constellations. But oddly enough, the Southern Cross is vaguely disappointing. You expect to see this big bright pointy thing but it's quite small, the first time I saw it I thought 'Nah that can't be it', you want to look for something bigger. Although it does have some wonderful associated clusters and stuff.

Yeah, my lad lives out in the sticks in Australia and the night skies there are truly stunning. You can not only see the Milky Way but globs are plain as day too, and that's with my old eyes. Oh and Scorpio stands out as much as Orion does here, it's one of those 'an idiot couldn't mistake that' constellations. But oddly enough, the Southern Cross is vaguely disappointing. You expect to see this big bright pointy thing but it's quite small, the first time I saw it I thought 'Nah that can't be it', you want to look for something bigger. Although it does have some wonderful associated clusters and stuff.

From my place back in NZ the southern cross is quite clear and I think it stands out a lot but then it was first constellation I learned so I'm quite used to recognising it - it does get drowned in the background stars a bit though. You're right about Scorpio, the tail is so distinctive and really stands out, the LMC is another good marker.

Archived