NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Music for those cold lonely imaging nights ...

mattastro

I think (hope) that the general conclusion is that playing music while observing or imaging is for suburban backyards where it may be nice to shut out the noise of neighbors or traffic, while in urban areas it is much more interesting to listen to the sounds of nature, having contact with both our planet and the universe at the same time. When listening to nature you can always expect a surprise while there are few surprises in a playlist and you soon learn what is coming next. In urban areas you may also get surprises from the sounds of your neighbors, but they may be less rewarding and I can see the need for music

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never actually listened to music whilst imaging or observing. But this has got me thinking.

I'd go for an ambient track like 'High Skies - The Shape of Things to Come'. I think it would be nice to gaze up at a dark sky with that track playing.

Will give it a try :smiley:.

Could also act as stress relief if things are going a bit pear shaped when imaging.

Andy.

21 hours ago, Luna-tic said:

But, listen to anything by Isao Tomita.  Much of his music has space themes. He was a pioneer in electronic music, just passed away last year at age 84. His arrangement of Holst's The Planets is amazing, My favorite album of his is called Snowflakes Are Dancing, a collection of pieces by Claude Debussy.

......ditto........

News to me, I was not aware of Isao's passing?
It was from the likes of Isoa Tomita and Wendy (Walter ) Carlos that inspired me to listen to some of the more popular classics, after first hearing them on the Moog!
And talking of pioneer's although he refutes that title, just this Month I witnessed the 'Savage' tour at the O2 ABC Glasgow, Gary Numan, a stunning performance.

This has actually turned into a more interesting topic than I had anticipated :-)

So it seems as though the majority are lucky enough to live / observe in a quiet place, and prefer to be at one with the universe whilst they do that.  Complete respect to these people - they probably have the logical view of what observing is all about.  Then there are some who listen to music because quiet isn't an option or because they simply like listening to it.

I sometimes have had frowns from friends that I often wear earphones e.g. on public transport (not at social gatherings!).  However my view has been I am an introvert, and I absolutely love music - my two main hobbies are astrophotography and music (listening, performing, composing).  So I wonder if those who choose music are just really into it.  

I actually expected this thread to go more down the lines of the majority liking electronica / film soundtracks - so many leading electronica artists love space - e.g. Jarre, Vangelis, Oldfield, and even rock artists such as Brian May (and of course electronic D:ream pop sensation Brian Cox!).  I think the science and gadgety nature of astro links to the same things in electronic music.  Also maybe both attract introverts?

Probably generalising too much but it's interesting to me at least.

Thanks everyone for contributing your thoughts on this - I've really enjoyed reading through them.

I listen to Ambient music while observing, it helps me cut off from my surroundings and become so engrossed in my observing that time flys. I turned to Ambient music as a means of escapism when first diagnosed with cancer. I found it great for mental relaxation and in the end I hired a shoutcast server and begun publicly streaming music released under creative commons licence and gave it a radio station name.

Today I have artists sending me music for airplay and it more then pays for its running costs and my time. It seems a little extreme but doing the stream was easier then keep loading mp3 players for when I was in hospital and away from home.

So now I just tune into my own stream when observing ?

For me at remote imaging sites i like to have on in the background any virgin label years Tangerine Dream albums  (Force majeure  & tangram  & white eagle my favs) ,also sometimes some Orbital , boards of canada , good synthwave stuff (Dan Terminus , Lost Years , Robert Parker , LazerHawk) , and if a badger gets too close some classic Swedish deathmetal to clear it off  :D:D 

Dave.

I'm in the 'listen to the surroundings' camp, I love the eerieness of a dark peaceful site while staring at the sky.

But strangely ... I love listening to music at other times !

Porcupine tree 'Time flies' would be quite nice as it surely does when observing .

• 1 month later...

I was going to start a similar thread before I saw this one so will just post here as to not make another thread.  I do not listen to music whilst observing however recently I noticed alot of my favourite bands have songs about or relating to space.  This made me want to make a playlist relating to space so I started thinking of decent songs.  So far i have thought of

Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine, Set the Controls for the heart of the sun
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Subway to Venus,  On Mercury, Parralell Universe, Universally Speaking, Behind the Sun,  The Leverage of Space.
David Bowie - Space Oddity, Life on Mars
Jack Johnson - Constallations
Incubus - Stellar
Crobot - Legend of the spaceborne Killer
Foo Fighters - The Sky is a neighbourhood, February stars
Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the moon
The Prodigy - out of space

There's probabley tonnes I've missed but I'll leave it there.  Sorry to drag it slightly off topic but it is a good thread.

Archived