Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Music for those cold lonely imaging nights ...

mattastro

Does anyone else listen to music whilst they sit for hours in the cold patiently watching each image appear and anxiously watching for clouds?

I'm guessing quite a few people are into Electronica - Vangelis / Mike Oldfield etc. - maybe the new Vangelis Rosetta album, or the new Blade Runner 2048 soundtrack by Hans Zimmer?

If people have any favourites I'll create a Spotify playlist and share?  

Thanks,

Matt

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leftism by leftfield for me - specifically “melt” nothing sounds more spacey! Definitely my fav.

also glam bucket (underworld) and all I need / leaving on a rocket (air)

All of yoshimi battles the pink robots by the flaming lips come to think of it. The list goes on....

not heard the new blade runner soundtrack. Any good?

soundtrack to Drive is an absolute belter.

Thanks for the replies.  I've build a Spotify playlist including the suggestions above (good call with Underworld, Air, Leftfield, Johnny Nash :-) ...  And I've included the likes of Daft Punk (Nightvision), Trentemoller, Vangelis, Hans Zimmer (Blade Runner 2049 track Mesa), Mike Oldfield, Jarre, Eric Serra (from Fifth Element), Royksopp, etc.

And to get this a bit more on topic here is a link to the tutorial I did a while ago for those getting started in Astrophotography.  I attempt to break it down into the steps I went through in my first 2 years.  I did post it here a couple of years ago and I think it went down quite well.  Ignore the small music production tutorial above it.

http://ambientgeneration.com/how-2/

Mr niall - Really like the new Blade Runner soundtrack, although I wish Vangelis could have done it, for sentimental reasons as much as his genius.

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I have to say that I like the sounds of the night. The highlight of the year comes in spring with the nightingales in full voice!

Olly

I agree with Olly, but it is probably because I am in a rural area where nature produces enough exciting sounds at night. My favorites are the many varied sounds of the tawny owls.  Last time I was in my obsy I had one of them flying a meter over my head - fortunately I did not drop any expensive optics.

"Apollo Atmospheres and Soundtracks" Brian Eno.

A great album. It was created as the soundtrack for the "For All Mankind" film by Al Rhinehert.

Thanks everyone.  I've carefully been through each post and added the suggestions - where there's a whole album mentioned or suite of pieces I've picked one I particularly liked.

mikeyj1 - Couldn't find your playlist - there were tons with that name (probably due to the Coldplay album) ...  Shame as I would have been interested to have a listen through.

I agree that it is nice to have nature's own sounds - and envy those of you who have that option - for me in Stockport it is more cars going past or joyful people coming back from the pub!

2 minutes ago, mattastro said:

I agree that it is nice to have nature's own sounds - and envy those of you who have that option

Yes, I agree with Olly on this one.  I'm lucky enough to be able to sit and listen to owls hooting, deer calling, geese flying overhead, and sometimes, just silence...  It's quite magic and I wouldn't mask it out with music of any other sort.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:17, mattastro said:

Does anyone else listen to music whilst they sit for hours in the cold patiently watching each image appear and anxiously watching for clouds?

I'm guessing quite a few people are into Electronica - Vangelis / Mike Oldfield etc. - maybe the new Vangelis Rosetta album, or the new Blade Runner 2048 soundtrack by Hans Zimmer?

Thanks,

Matt

I haven't taken anything to listen to when I observe, I sort of enjoy the silence and solitude. The visual becomes the concert in my mind.

But, listen to anything by Isao Tomita.  Much of his music has space themes. He was a pioneer in electronic music, just passed away last year at age 84. His arrangement of Holst's The Planets is amazing, My favorite album of his is called Snowflakes Are Dancing, a collection of pieces by Claude Debussy.

http://www.isaotomita.net

On 10/21/2017 at 15:17, mattastro said:

Thanks,

Matt

Not for me Matt, I just love the silence, punctuated once in while by the sound of a Tawny Owl.:happy11:

Listening to music would mean I would miss the owls hooting and other sounds of the night, and thinking about what I may be missing would stress me. Someone mentioned music with space themes, which got me thinking. Why are some music (like symphonic or electronic music) connected to space? Must be cultural indoctrination. Space is totally silent since sound does not travel in near vacuum, which is why I enjoy the realistic feeling of movies like 2001, and become annoyed being presented with roaring sounds of approaching fighter ships in Star Wars.

I have tried this in the past..Turned up the volume, a couple of clicks on the mouse and started up some prodigy. Of course I forgot that only the keyboard, mouse and monitor are in the shed and the computer is in the garden. Not sure the neighbors enjoyed it at silly o'clock in the morning..(their dog seemed to like it). 

11 hours ago, Saganite said:

I just love the silence, punctuated once in while by the sound of a Tawny Owl.:happy11:

I was at our wildlife club a week or so ago, about 11pm to view. It's dark as pitch out there, far enough out of town the horizon glow is almost gone, and no street or house lights to be seen. I was setting up and heard a 'whuff'-ing sound, a couple of times. I keep a 500 lumen flashlight in my gear so I pointed it down the field and turned it on. Nice, big, whitetail buck looking back at me about 25 yards away. Didn't stand there long after I turned the light on him.

Archived