Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Night at the Breckland Observatory Site

Littleguy80

On any post asking what your ideal your scope, there's always at least one response that says "any scope under dark skies". With those words running through my mind, it was with great excitement that I made the journey to the Breckland Observatory site. The Breckland Astronomical Society website state that the skies are 21+ SQM. I'd never observed in anything above 20 SQM. I felt well prepared with a planned list of targets, snacks, flask of tea and warm clothes. I initially had some troubles finding the site when Google Maps announced my "destination was on my right" when I all I saw was a hedgerow. Resisting the temptation to drive through the hedge I turned around and eventually found the car park. I grabbed my red light torch and wandered into a very dark field, hoping I was in the right place. I got my answer when a dim red light security light came on. I realised it was on the observatory itself. Next to the observatory was a large concrete pad for observing on. No one else was there! I rushed back to the car to grab all my gear. 10 minutes later I was all set up and my eyes were well on the way to being dark adapted. Looking up I could see the Milky Way overhead. It didn't have structure like in photos but was still much more visible than I've ever seen it before. There was some high level cloud around so the skies weren't as transparent as I would have liked but I wasn't complaining.

Galaxies have always been a struggle from home. I've managed a few but often they've been on the edge of what I can see. I settled on M51 as my first target. I've seen it at home but it's very faint. A quick eyeballed location using the Telrad and I moved across to the eyepiece and there was M51. I was immediately struck by how much brighter it appeared. Both galaxies easily seen with direct vision and improving further with averted vision. I was able to move to my 12mm BST and still comfortably seem both at 75x. The best comparison I can make is they stood out the way M81/M82 stand out when view from my garden. I couldn't make out the spiral arms on the Whirlpool galaxy though. 

After M51, it was time to see if the Pinwheel Galaxy would show itself. M101 has been a target they've gone to time and again without success. I've known its there, I'm looking in the right place but it's just invisible. As I looked through the eyepiece, I got a silly grin on my face as straight away I could see faint galaxy exactly where it should be. It was faint, similar to how M51 looks at home but it was without doubt there. Even though I couldn't see much detail this felt like a big moment after so many failed attempts. The galaxy theme continued as I moved the scope over to M31. I was expecting to be amazed by the extent of Andromeda but what really grabbed my attention was M110. It was just there! I wasn't struggling with averted vision to see a faint galaxy, it jumped out with direct vision. It wasn't showing a lot of detail but I was still impressed to see it so easily. 

Now I moved up to Cygnus and the Veil. Starting from Gienah and travelling to the first section of the Western Veil and Cyg 52, I thought the views were similar to home. However, the extent of the visible nebula just kept on going past Cyg 52. At home I can't see any nebulosity past Cyg 52. Moving over to very bright Eastern Veil I felt as though I could I make out the faint pickering's triangle but it certainly wasn't obvious. After the Veil, I had a failed attempt at the Crescent nebula. Gerry has always said you need 21 SQM minimum for this. I tried the iPhone Dark Sky Meter and got a a reading of 20.48. Not quite dark enough!

Quick cuppa and time to put my jacket on, it was a very mild October evening. As I navigated to M33, I really started to appreciate the number of visible stars and how easy it was making it to find targets with the Telrad. I've gotten into the habit of using SkySafari to navigate based on what was in the eyepiece. This really put my in the mind of using the Telrad with S&T Pocket Atlas as I did earlier in the year. M33 like the other galaxies stood out well. The core brightening significantly with averted vision. I spent some time looking for NGC604 but never felt confident that I had it. I decided to look at M57 next which was incredibly bright. It's an easy spot at home so I was curious to see how much different dark skies made to it. The ring itself was obvious even at low mags even with direct vision. Back to Cygnus and the North American Nebula. The edge of nebula was easy to find as I moved down from Cyg 56/57. It was fun to trace the outline of the Nebula. 

Onto another challenging target, M1. I visited the Crab Nebula 3 times over the course of the evening. Each time it became an easier spot as it rose in the sky. I was surprised by the size of it. I'm not sure why I expect it to be smaller. I've always loved the Hubble pictures of this supernova remnant and knowing that the Supernova itself was seen by Chinese astronomers over 1000 years ago! Spent awhile in Auriga taking in clusters NGC1893, M38, M36 and M37. Of those I think M37 is my favourite. The stars are fainter but it's so dense.

Finished the night with M45, bright but no nebulosity, and a couple more galaxies, NGC 404 (Mirach's Ghost) and NGC 6946 (Fireworks Galaxy). I also saw a bright meteor come down to the right of M45 which is a nice bonus viewing. It was a fabulous evening and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. There were occasions where I just lied on my back and looked up. The Hyades were particularly impressive naked eye. I finally appreciated this as a huge cluster. I was a bit like a kid in a candy store jumping around to different targets over the course of the session. Now I've experienced dark skies....I want darker ;) 

Great report Neil, very enjoyable read. Interesting descriptive comparisons between how you see these objects from home and how you re-define them from this new observing locations, everything truly does light up. A worth while and very good place to go observing by all accounts, as mentioned in the run up to this, perhaps welly's and a compact camping stool or chair for next time.

1 minute ago, scarp15 said:

Great report Neil, very enjoyable read. Interesting descriptive comparisons between how you see these objects from home and how you re-define them from this new observing locations, everything truly does light up. A worth while and very good place to go observing by all accounts, as mentioned in the run up to this, perhaps welly's and a compact camping stool or chair for next time.

Thanks Iain. Was an excellent night and I suspect I haven't the skies at their best from that location either! I'd intended to bring a chair and was annoyed with myself that I forgot. It definitely helps to be able to sit very still when trying to squeeze out the detail

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

I was a bit like a kid in a candy store jumping around to different targets over the course of the session. Now I've experienced dark skies....I want darker ;) 

Thank you, Neil, for this wonderful, vivid and inspiring report - it brings back memories and feelings from my first steps in stargazing many years ago, a fountain of youth!

Your new observing site surely calls for many more visits, including the use of some good bins (and, in the long run, of a bigger travel scope).

Stephan

Nice session there Neil. A lot of common targets in there to pick the details out of. Darker it gets the better and brighter they all become. Dark site trips are always something to remember and what better way than sharing your views with others.

Read quite a bit about the build up to this trip. The anticipation of a trip out is what keeps us all going even when the weather is as turbulent as it is at present. New moon is approaching and hoping this hurricane whats passing brings some clearer more transparent skies to us all. 

Keep up the good posts and next you'll be attending star parties :wink: 

Great report Neil :thumbright:

Dark skies really do make a big difference on galaxies. Trouble is that it's a little bit of a let down when you come to observe the same object from home again. You realise what you are missing :rolleyes2:

32 minutes ago, jetstream said:

This light map shows why dob mobbers head to where they do- maybe it could be useful for you too? That cloud you had could reflect the LP back making things worse as well.

https://blue-marble.de/nightlights/2012

Thanks Gerry. There's another observatory at a place called Seething which is actually closer to my house. I've had a visit there but not had a chance to observer there yet. That'll be my next trip :)

27 minutes ago, John said:

Great report Neil :thumbright:

Dark skies really do make a big difference on galaxies. Trouble is that it's a little bit of a let down when you come to observe the same object from home again. You realise what you are missing :rolleyes2:

Thanks John. I think this will end up changing my observing from home in the long run. There'll probably be some targets that are saved for dark site visits.

21 minutes ago, domstar said:

Great report. Like @Astro Imp I was looking forward to hearing about it. Mirach's ghost eh? That's very impressive.

Thank you! It's nice to hear about you @Astro Imp @mapstar @scarp15 and others all wondering how the trip went. I really appreciate that :) I often enjoy the solitude of observing but I equally love talking about it afterwards!

Mirach's ghost was a really nice one. I've seen it at home but it's another one that's on the edge of what's visible. Was a nice clear spot on Saturday :)

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

Mirach's ghost was a really nice one. I've seen it at home but it's another one that's on the edge of what's visible. Was a nice clear spot on Saturday :)

NGC 404 is a nice compliment to Mirach NGC 6207 near M13 is something of a similar find. :icon_biggrin:

Breckland is the one north of Attleborough if I recall, Great Something (B?), visited it one day just to have a look.

It is a bit of an example where the light pollution maps fail. They seem based on population and the village is of reasonable size so it has fair light pollution indicated. The catch being the village has no street lights so the reality is it is dark.

I guess you parked in the cricket club car park and wandered over from there to the obs. I presume avoiding dragging everything over the cricket pitch. :eek::eek:

It is a good place and really we need more like that so people can go observe in what is relative comfort and ease. Just the car parking and the clear area for observing from and setting up is adaquate.

11 minutes ago, ronin said:

Breckland is the one north of Attleborough if I recall, Great Something (B?), visited it one day just to have a look.

It is a bit of an example where the light pollution maps fail. They seem based on population and the village is of reasonable size so it has fair light pollution indicated. The catch being the village has no street lights so the reality is it is dark.

I guess you parked in the cricket club car park and wandered over from there to the obs. I presume avoiding dragging everything over the cricket pitch. :eek::eek:

It is a good place and really we need more like that so people can go observe in what is relative comfort and ease. Just the car parking and the clear area for observing from and setting up is adaquate.

Great Ellingham is the name of the village. I did carry everything over from the car park. Wasn’t too bad as I packed fairly light. Just one trip needed. It’s great that you can just turn up and observe. Ideal for an impromptu session :) 

A week on from this session and my one regret is not taking a look at M81/M82. They’re bright from home and I can’t help but wonder whether I could have glimpsed some galactic spiral arms had only taken a look. One for the list next time I go to a dark site! 

On 16/10/2017 at 16:14, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks Gerry. There's another observatory at a place called Seething which is actually closer to my house. I've had a visit there but not had a chance to observer there yet. That'll be my next trip :)

When it's good, Seething is really good ... 

AndyG 

Archived