Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Milky Way structure

jetstream

Just a short note on last nights observing under exceptional skies. I started out using the 15" Astrosystems and finished using the eyes. Needless to say the views through the scope were fantastic with the 20mm Lunt/UHC/OIII revealing the Little Veil segment in direct vision. Two things about this- first the extra wide FOV is not your friend on this one, its better to keep 12 Cygni out of view if possible and second- a filter slide is a huge asset. Last night I flicked back and forth between the OIII/UHC and this seemed to pop it out in the UHC. Actually, doing this seems to help the eye get more "contrast".

The Crescent was filled with nebulosity- this is a stunning object under the right conditions. Not much more to say except to keep viewing it often...

The scope observing lasted not very long.. as the naked eye Milky Way took over the viewing. I recognized new to me structure up in Cepheus with a spur jutting into the Aldermin area almost obliterating any chance I had to navigate there. The stars and MW structure had me "lost" again- zero chance to find NGC 6946 and its companion. Over in Cass the bright jagged spur enveloped the area but up "above" Caph there was a large "hole" - an area of dust" ?, not many stars visible in it.

My new description for portions of the Milky Way is now "jagged", man our galaxy gives superb views. It was so good I forgot the scope and layed back in the lawn chair (again). Gotta love the coming cold weather, last night was -3c, I can't wait for winter!:thumbsup:

That lawn chair is getting some good use again then Gerry, as with Stu look forward to ongoing and winter reports. Nice description on the little veil, this segment I would like to completely try and resolve with conviction, just need your current -3 climate.

Great stuff, Gerry - very little beats the Milky Way from a truly dark site.  I remember it from next to a lake near the tiny town of Chapais near Chibougamu, Quebec - easily the darkest skies and most dazzling MW I've ever come across.  Your wonderful country really does do amazing skies. 

Paul

You've livened us all up Gerry, and fired us up for our Winter skies. Not a hope 
in Hades they will match yours, but we will live in hope.
A superb account you've given us, you may need to keep us in Awe with your reports,
 If our skies don't play Ball :smile:.

Archived