SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telescope took a fall

I got my telescope in the mail today. The telescope case has got a huge bulk that has cracked the material and made a ugly mark. The bulk has been made from within the case, that is, the telescope itself has made a bulk/crack from within.

The vendor would like to send a new suitcase, but I know I'm more worried about the telescope. It must have been hit hard even though there are no visible damage to it.

What do you guys think? Is it unreasonable of me to request a new telescope in this case?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not unreasonable if the apparent thump it has taken is as bad as described. Simply something may have moved significatnly that will cause you continuous problems and so to an extent problems to the vendor. Likely easier for them to replace it and if they so wish they can check it over fully when they receive it, and you can get on viewing or whatever without a series of correspondance.

What is the scope, if refractor then movement of the lens in the cell is the first concern and equally the focuser end also.

Don't risk it, inform the vendor and ask for it to be replaced immediately. I know i might be jumping the guns here but it's a brand new kit. Let them deal with the courier company as opposed to you having to test out the kit yourself. If that is you can wait for the new scope to arrive :)

38 minutes ago, Nigel G said:

I agree with everyone, ask for a new scope and case, even if it looks ok.

Thats a serious knock to do that damage.

Good luck

Nige.

I have asked them to send me a new one. I hope they will approve the request. 
Such a bummer to have to wait for a new one though, I feels like I have been waiting for it for ages :p

13 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

It would of been either the focuser knobs or that camera thread pointing upwards that did that..a star test would check the optics but you would need to check the focuser 

Both knobs did make a mark, but the black one to the left made the big one. That may be a good thing, but the whole situation feels a bit uncomfortable anyway.

20170913_194525.jpg

2 minutes ago, Astronator said:

I have asked them to send me a new one. I hope they will approve the request. 
Such a bummer to have to wait for a new one though, I feels like I have been waiting for it for ages :p

I feel your pain, but it will be worth it in the end.

Precious things telescopes, they need loving :) 

I hope it turns out ok.

If the case the scope is in is the correct size case, that dent would not have happened. You buy something new, it should arrive as new. I'd send the whole thing back and get a NEW new one. It would take some force to make that dent. Imagine what it has possibly done to the optics.

18 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

If the case the scope is in is the correct size case, that dent would not have happened. You buy something new, it should arrive as new. I'd send the whole thing back and get a NEW new one. It would take some force to make that dent. Imagine what it has possibly done to the optics.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I work as a photographer, and if one of my lenses hade arrived like this it would really be no question about it. So why would this be any different. I guess I just dont like to be a difficult customer, so it was good to hear your thoughts in here. 

6 minutes ago, Astronator said:

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I work as a photographer, and if one of my lenses hade arrived like this it would really be no question about it. So why would this be any different. I quess I just dont like to be a difficult customer, so it was good to hear your thoughts in here. 

You are not being a difficult customer, things happen and although the supplier has perhaps used the correct packaging etc they are ultimately responsible and should replace it, they will also want to know what went wrong with their carriers.

Alan

14 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

You should insist on a full replacement - it is frustrating to have to wait but better to suffer this than have doubts about the instrument for all the time you own it.

Absolutely. I have been waiting a long time and saving money for this, so I should be able to wait some more weeks:)

7 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

You are not being a difficult customer, things happen and although the supplier has perhaps used the correct packaging etc they are ultimately responsible and should replace it, they will also want to know what went wrong with their carriers.

Alan

Yes, they should. I dont really understand how that bulk came to be in the first place - the scope sits really tight in the case. Someone must have dropped the package on the floor or something.

They asked me to check the scope my self, a little weird maybe when they know this is my first scope and that I dont know much. 

I got the feeling that they maybe did not see this as a big thing.

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

You are in your rights to ask for a replacement. Consumer rights protects you from it. I'd be vary if they offer you some sort of a cash voucher for the inconvenience but DO NOT fall for that.

Mm, trust me I wont. I dont care about the money, I just want the perfect scope I paid for.

Be careful, they may insist on sending a replacement only when they receive yours back, if so they may just switch the case and send you the same scope back, personally I would send the whole lot back and as tooth said, order elsewhere unless they deliver a new one as they collect the old one.

7 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Be careful, they may insist on sending a replacement only when they receive yours back, if so they may just switch the case and send you the same scope back, personally I would send the whole lot back and as tooth said, order elsewhere unless they deliver a new one as they collect the old one.

Ugh...That's a way to make a girl paranoid! :o
Dont scopes have serial numbers or something?

Archived