Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ha prom from the weekend - Updateed with anim

Rob63

This is a close up of the prom near to AR2665 on Saturday (Haven't seen the sun since).

I may have enough frames to make a small animation.

596519d26c444_Promcloseup.thumb.jpg.1b1bbce85beea47577ee108022c74c90.jpg

Pseudo colour

596519d0bcb4d_Promcloseupcolour.thumb.jpg.b1686b586cafd4bb455e98b0c841e05e.jpg

Added an animation, bit rubbish as I didn't really have enough frames but it shows a nice bit of movement.

Proms-anim.gif.84904e32d0e132f3d07fafbdf5ddcfc3.gif

31 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Very nice indeed.

I really must save up a bit and get myself one those wedge thingys :happy11:.

Remember you won't see proms in a wedge or WL filter, you need an Ha scope or Filter (a Quark I'm my case)..

Sunspots are fantastic to see in WL but they will be rare for the next few years. 

1 hour ago, Rob63 said:

Remember you won't see proms in a wedge or WL filter, you need an Ha scope or Filter (a Quark I'm my case)..

Sunspots are fantastic to see in WL but they will be rare for the next few years. 

I was seriously considering the Quark yesterday till i read a thread on here about a guy that was forever having to return them because of manufacturing faults, it really put me off.

I could go for a PST or even  a lunt 50/60 but, as you say it's a very quite period for the next few years.

57 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

I was seriously considering the Quark yesterday till i read a thread on here about a guy that was forever having to return them because of manufacturing faults, it really put me off.

I could go for a PST or even  a lunt 50/60 but, as you say it's a very quite period for the next few years.

The Sun is rarely "quiet" in Ha.    :icon_biggrin:

11 hours ago, MARS1960 said:

I know what you mean, almost everyone has the same thoughts when buying a quark. The early days seemed to have a lot of problems.

The solution is to buy from a supplier who tests them. I got mine from the widescreen-centre, Simon was very helpful and had tested a new batch of them when I bought mine.

3 minutes ago, Rob63 said:

I know what you mean, almost everyone has the same thoughts when buying a quark. The early days seemed to have a lot of problems.

The solution is to buy from a supplier who tests them. I got mine from the widescreen-centre, Simon was very helpful and had tested a new batch of them when I bought mine.

Thanks for that Rob, it makes the decision much easier, now i just need to convince the Mrs :icon_biggrin:.

PS: Do i need anything else? i will be using my 120ED and a DSLR.

Great shot Rob. Lovely subtle detail.

Mark, you will need an energy rejection filter. A UV/IR cut filter placed before the Quark will be fine with a 120mm scope.

A mono cam would also be a good improvement over a DSLR if funds allow.

As Freddie says UV/IR cut filter is esential the 120ED is a big scope and needs good seeing conditions,

I mostly use my 80ED with the Quark and it takes around 25 frames to make a full disc mosaic with the ASI174.

High speed Mono cams make a big difference too as only red light is passing through the filter and a colour camera is wasting pixels by capturing RGB 

See http://www.astro-nut.com/SolarPrimer.pdf for some good information

If I am making you think "this sounds expensive" your are right - Solar astronomy is a bit of a money pit I'm afraid, very rewarding but pricey.

On 12/07/2017 at 05:39, Pete Presland said:

Its almost like you can feel the heat rising from here, very detail visible there. An animation would be a very nice bonus!

Added it, It's not a great animation but it shows some nice movement..

Archived