Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quark problem?

18 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Keep trying, it should work.

It the largest active solar forum on the web.

If pain persists contact me and I'll help.

Thanks for the offer - have sent you a PM :smile: 

Simon at Widescreen Centre emailed today to let me know that Daystar have identified/know the fault from the picture and will replace the filter under warranty. 

Windescreen Centre are taking care of logistics. 

?

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Keep us posted Derek, mines about to start it's second week as a guest at HMRC Coventry.

Dave

Will do, Dave.

How long did yours spend in the care of Daystar?

9 hours ago, DRT said:

Will do, Dave.

How long did yours spend in the care of Daystar?

Only about 2 weeks once it was there, but the first time it was returned it had a different fault to originally it then took ages to get it returned to them and it's now on it's way back again.

This whole process has taken about 6 months from when it first packed up.

Lucky I've got the LS60.

Dave

• Like 1

Hope you get it fixed soon. I haven't seen anything like that with the several Quarks I have had.

I've no idea what the cause is but just to mention here, make sure you don't let Quarks freeze - Teleskop Service had a warning about this which I posted in the thread below. "A Fabry-Pérot filter ... should not be exposed to temperatures below 5 °C (40 °F). The immersion oil which connects the optical elements can solidify. Then, it presses them apart and the coatings of the to 1/200 lambda plane-parallel polished etalon plate suffer damage."

the failure mode highlighted only affects "solid" etalon designs like the Daystar instruments.

The other air spaced designs - Coronado/ Lunt are unaffected.

Moisture can and does affect the ITF filters......

Is it worth keeping a quark in an air tight case? I keep my PST in one to help reduce exposure to the elements when not in use.

@DRT glad to hear Daystar are going to sort it for you mate and fingers crossed the replaced filter turns out to be a fix and not just a repair.

• 1 month later...
On 06/06/2017 at 23:46, DRT said:

Simon at Widescreen Centre emailed today to let me know that Daystar have identified/know the fault from the picture and will replace the filter under warranty. 

Windescreen Centre are taking care of logistics. 

?

Less than two months after agreeing to help resolve the problem Widescreen Centre returned my Quark to me today.

Daystar have not supplied any information about what the fault was, how it occurred or what they did to fix it but it looks to me that they have replaced the entire red section of the device. It is a slightly darker colour than I remember and absolutely no signs of use.

The service from Simon at Widescreen Centre has been excellent and I am quite impressed that Daystar turned this around relatively quickly during the period leading up the the total eclipse in the USA.

It is a sunny day tomorrow so I will be testing it out and will report back :wink: 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Pig said:

That's great news Derek and you haven't missed any sunshine ?

You're not wrong, mate. I think I've had the Lunt out about three times since the Quark was sent off. 

Guaranteed sunshine for the rest of the summer ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DRT said:

Less than two months after agreeing to help resolve the problem Widescreen Centre returned my Quark to me today.

Daystar have not supplied any information about what the fault was, how it occurred or what they did to fix it but it looks to me that they have replaced the entire red section of the device. It is a slightly darker colour than I remember and absolutely no signs of use.

The service from Simon at Widescreen Centre has been excellent and I am quite impressed that Daystar turned this around relatively quickly during the period leading up the the total eclipse in the USA.

It is a sunny day tomorrow so I will be testing it out and will report back :wink: 

Good to hear it's back Derek, hope it's fixed as mine returned for the second time and it still doesn't seem to be working properly as turning the tuning knob from one end to the other a click at a time appears to have no effect on the image, really need a nice sunny day to test it and take some pictures to show Daystar then it will be winging its way back to them again.

Dave

I have just had my first look through the repaired Quark and it is fantastic!

The surface detail is much more pronounced than it was before and I haven't spotted any dull zones in the FOV. I am convinced this is effectively a new device attached to the original Barlow section and I must say I am delighted with the outcome. 

Phew! ? 

• Like 6

• 4 years later...
On 03/06/2017 at 14:13, DRT said:

IMG_0327.thumb.JPG.1ba176456bfe033d60f00ef35c6b8d67.JPG

?

An old thread - but I’m really keen to find out if anyone can explain the problem posted in the first message/pic above, as it was never resolved? Or if anyone else has experienced this with their Quark/Solar Scout/Baader Sundancer/mica filter?

It’s definitely not fungus related. It’s like a very fine cracking beneath the glass. But what may have caused it? Obviously the blocking filter and telecentric are at the other end of the Quark, so I wonder what we are seeing here - between the etalon itself and the outer piece of glass?