Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New guy from South Yorkshire

GH05T

Hey everyone. New to the forum here.

My name is Mark and I have recently got back into astronomy. I consider myself to be a beginner in the field as my main areas of interest actually lie in the paranormal sector. But anyway, yes, I have recently dusted of my scope and started using it again and so far im really enjoying it.

I actually have 2 scopes. Both Celestron Astromasters, one is a 90 and the other a 102. Both refractors. I have the entire omni eye piece kit and omni barlow and a few filters.

Just thought id pop in and say hello! Is anyone on here close to Rotherham in South Yorkshire? Would love to meet up with like minded people and learn more in this amazing field of study.

Here is a few snaps taken with my mobile phone up against the eye piece from the last few nights viewing. These photos are my first ever of this kind and I would love to know what you think of them?

For now, take it easy people. Clear skies...

102 & 90 SCOPES & MOON.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

25 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

.....Starry Skies!

Cheers Dave?
Just found the true meaning of the song Starry Starry Night, Vincent! by Don Mclean.
Amazing what you can learn from a snippet of information.

4 hours ago, Charic said:

Cheers Dave?
Just found the true meaning of the song Starry Starry Night, Vincent! by Don Mclean.
Amazing what you can learn from a snippet of information.

Indeed! Everything can be a portal into further inquiry.

One trick I learned is about stamp-collecting. Those little bits of sticky paper - each one a gate to amazing information in languages, history, politics, and so much more! For a child - it can turn the little one into a fountain of information and  auto-didactic activity.

Just never bet the kiid in 'trivial-pursuit,' The kid will own your house!

Dave

p.s. - Great song, by the by. Don McLean is an old favorite here!

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

Welcome from the land down under

Pics taken through eyepiece are great

Done the same thing through my 10" dob, and my ED80 on a EQ5 mount

Have captured images of Transit of Venus back in 2012, and 80% solar eclipse on the Goldcoast in 2013

Committee member as well Southern Astronomy Society, and the club does community displays, as well as space badge for scout/guide groups, primary school presentations

Very rewarding working with our youth of today

John

Archived