Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Atik CMOS Camera Prototype

Atik have revealed they are working on a new camera with a 16MP CMOS sensor.

It is being designed from-the-ground-up for astrophotography and will include features like a frame buffer and improved cooling in a body based on their tried and tested 4-series (think Atik 460EX, 414EX, etc) design. They are also integrating camera control into their Capture software, along with the variable gain control exclusively for CMOS. 

"You might be wondering how a CMOS astrophotography camera is going to vary from the CCD cameras in our range. We’re putting together some information on the technical differences between the two sensor technologies, and also what it means for your astrophotography in practical terms, so keep an eye out for those over the coming weeks. However, we will say now that what we love about this CMOS sensor is the real estate and resolution. We’ll also hold up our hands and say that CCDs are still the optimum technology for long exposure astrophotography. However, with 3.8µm pixels, this camera’s going to be a great match for shorter focal lengths and short exposure imaging." 

atik_cmos_camera_16mp_prototype.jpg

Yes, that is my suspicion too. Will be interesting to see how much it will differ from the ASI in performance and price. I will have to keep waiting for a cooled APS-C size mono.....

When I first saw the title of the thread I hoped they'd sourced a mono version of the sensor in the ASI071, that would be *very* interesting. As it's not I will continue to investigate Kodak 8300 cameras, possibly a Moravian G2 with internal FW.

This was inevitable as the ASI1600 has been such a good seller inevitably cutting into Atik's CCD camera sales. My preference in these times would always be to buy from a UK company as such I hope that they can be competitive in price and specification. 

I totally agree that this is not the best CMOS chip ever made I would also want to see a mono version of the ASI071, its frustrating that no mono APS-C CMOS chips are available. I feel that they must come at some stage though as CCD production phases out. 

Sony had announced their move to CMOS so will not be producing new CCDs at some point in the future, and astronomy is one of the last areas of sensor usage to not make the switch fully, but hopefully it is not a "forced" move to CMOS, more a progression as CMOS offers advantages for the application to which we love :)

Archived