Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 07.04.2017. First planetary image for quite a while!!

theo

It seems like ages since I did any planetary imaging and since I spent many years just focusing on this element of astrophotography it felt good to be imaging Jupiter again. A lot has changed though and the elevation we have to contend with now is a real challenge.

The forecast looked promising for three nights on the trot in Somerset, the Jet stream being well out of the way and a nice high pressure region sitting over us. My expectation for some calm seeing was high.  Unfortunately I think I set my hopes far too high as the live view was less than ideal but considering how much atmosphere we are having to look though now I suppose it wasn't too bad with a few glimpses of some detail apparent. 

I did capture from the 6th, 7th and 8th but this I think is the best from the 7th with the other data still awaiting processing. It may be some time before I get the chance to look at this being so busy with other commitments at the moment. Taken with my usual set-up, 12" LX200acf and ASI174mm cam. Operating focal length around 10m.

Regards,

Pete

Jupiter 07.04.2017.png

Really excellent Pete, Nick Haigh (Happylimpet) posted some on CN from only a few minutes before your own...& as I just said there, his are "triply-excellent" - especially when considering the usual UK seeing conditions!

This applies equally to your own image here..! :)

Looks like both of you were fortunate enough to strike some really top seeing for a change..! :headbang:

Thank you all for your kind and generous comments. I will hopefully get round to processing the Jupiter data from the other nights but have around 500 gig of Lunar to get through as well. All good fun!!!

Pete.

20 minutes ago, Grotemobile said:

Hi Pete. Do U find the ADC makes a lot of difference.

I have only got a 8" scope. Would it be worth buying one.

Hi Steve.

To be honest I've never undertaken a direct comprison to determine the amount of improvement with my own equipment but at this elevation for Jupiter the ADC is a worthy addition in the imaging train even for mono cameras. The dispersion is quite pronounced if viewed with a colour camera and once the levers are correctly set this all but disappears. If you are imaging with a colour cam then this is where the ADC is most beneficial. 

Pete.

22 hours ago, Barv said:

Superb Pete

You must have found a pocket of excellent seeing!

Regards

Harvey

Many thanks Harvey. The seeing was certainly better for a few nights around this period but it was still some way off being completely calm. For 30 degrees elevation though It would have to be exceptional seeing to get very calm air.

Pete

17 hours ago, astroman001 said:

Hi Pete

The more I look at this image the more I realise what a superb image it is. Considering the poor seeing we have had in the UK this year, I applaud your efforts in recording such fine detail.

Best regards

Peter

That's very kind of you to say Pete, thank you.

Pete

Archived