Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looks like the end of astronomy in my town

Nova2000

All traditional orange /sodium, mercury vapor lamps are being replaced by Led lights. Which are very very bright!. 

There are no lp filter that can combat led. 

2years ago I could see m79 through my reflector. Now I can't see it even in a Cpc 800 ?

IT seems there are rules against lp in Europe if I'm not wrong. Here no one cares about this! 

Do you'll have any ideas on how to convince the govt to stop this? The local club wants to combat this. IMG_20170406_173302.thumb.jpg.2fa9147d6b6519691337c8fcf0e48f23.jpg

They are brighter and taller, but of those already installed locally, I see a difference away and above the lights, where it actually looks darker.
I'm sure I'll share the same concern when my street is converted, because any taller will clearly affect my garden!

From the terrace of the local club. We have completely lost the southern and northern skies. Only the west is not lost. 

The worst thing is the led banners which are in the north. 

The point is why do these banners face up?! I'm sure aliens are not interested! 

I have to say that your lights look better shielded than those that are being installed near us, however being taller does not help you much. On a more positive note, these lights do not significantly spoil lunar, planetary, double star and of course solar so don't despair there is a good deal of astronomy left.  :icon_biggrin:

According to the Stargazing Live last week, Wakefield is the worst place for LP.

And guess where I live?  Yup.  Nowhere else in the UK that is less polluted of light that good old Wakefield.  So you think you have had it.  Try living here for Astronomy.

To be honest, I think the only reason the night sky looks darker above these LED street lights is because the white light makes your pupils contract. I struggle to see under these new LED streetlights and I feel the un-diffused light and glare is especially dangerous for road users for the reason I state above. The old sodium lights were obviously nearer the red end of the spectrum and therefore, to a small degree, helped preserve night vision. In my area we have only small patches of these new streetlights but when I have walked along paths where they are entirely white LED illuminated I have ended up feeling a little nauseous after a while.

I really don't understand why "the powers that be" choose to use white LED's, surely amber would of been feasible, or even better red :icon_biggrin:  

4 hours ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

I really don't understand why "the powers that be" choose to use white LED's, surely amber would of been feasible, or even better red :icon_biggrin:  

I wouldn't want to live in a 'red light district'!

If the town/city doesn't use LED's that are baffled so they only illuminate the area straight-down - not out & up as well - new medical-evidence indicates these can do truly horrible things to people. One example is by not letting kids have truly dark nights, the development of their brains will be damaged as a result. As well as certain species of life can be wiped-out forever.

Check with the IDSA people to get more information - and help in developing a winning strategy to stop this mess in it's tracks. Baffles - or No Way!

Here's the link for the IDSA:

http://darksky.org/

Don't back down. You CAN fight City-Hall - and WIN!

Dave

Archived