Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Long Bresser Refractors now available

I saw these Bresser F/13 achromat refractors at the Stoneleigh show last year and thought they looked rather nice.

The 90mm and 102mm are now available for what seem to be pretty interesting prices:

https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Telescopes/BRESSER-Messier-AR-90L-1200-Optical-Tube-assembly.html

https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Telescopes/BRESSER-Messier-AR-102-1000-Hexafoc-Optical-Tube-assembly-bresser.html

Not sure that including a copy of Stellarium with them is a strong selling point though !

• Like 7

I don't believe it! You've beat me too it John, I've just spotted these myself and thought I must put the heads up on SGL :) I was wondering about these since seeing pics of them at NEAF 2016 I think, so regularly pop onto the Bresser site to see what's going on :) 

That 90mm f/13.3 is keenly priced! I bet it's a wonderful poor seeing with cheap EP's scope! I personally experience both of those conditions. Would it kill my incoming EQ3? I think I know the answer sadly unless the withdraw the sale of my eq5/heq5 tripod.

Doesn't stop me having thoughts of selling my 76mm f/16 to put towards one to beta test, hmmm?

• Like 2

These scopes look quite a bit longer in real life than the photos on the website I've linked to suggest. They are going to need a sturdy mount despite their modest tube weights.

• Like 1

Your right John, the 90/1200 is almost as long as my vintage 76/1250. Quite surprising what level of mount they supplied for this tube length back in the day!...mine does get the wobbles if you catch it, but isn't too bad in the wind owing to being so thin. 

I'm excited for who ever gets to try these? I was about to ask if your were tempted John, then quickly remembered what fracs you have..unless you fancy some rustic charm? :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Just looked at the current exchange rates and the (likely very well corrected indeed and great looking) 90mm refractor is just 136quid! Carrot, dangle, my nose. I'm talking myself into this, I've just got a thing about long fracs and they haven't been widely and cheaply on the scene like this in how long? Probably never? I really want to beta test one! 

Down side is that I haven't the ideal mount for it nor the financial situation. Erm, I'd better put the computer away, have a wee glass of wine, then go to bed before something terrible happens involving a big buy button :icon_biggrin: 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Sleeping on it didn't help, Bresser 90mm f13.3 ordered :thumbsup:

Well done! 

I've got to admit that I had a little browse of the Bresser site on the back of this thread. Mulling over a cheap f10.....

Paul

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Well done! 

I've got to admit that I had a little browse of the Bresser site on the back of this thread. Mulling over a cheap f10.....

Paul

I've really liked Bresser fracs since the 127/1200 I had. Lovely build and optics, I say go for it and report back :icon_biggrin::evil4:

• Like 2

Wonder if Telescope House in Edenbridge will be getting them in, they currently call themselves Bresser UK. Unfortunately the showroom is not open Sat or Sun.

9 hours ago, nightfisher said:

I`m half tempted with the 102 F13.2..................in fact very tempted, when i had the Antares 105 F15, i felt the F13 would have been much better

Jules if I remember the Antares was quite expensive so the Bresser 102mm seems a reasonable purchase. Let me know if you buy one but at the moment I would like to read a review. Perhaps we can persuade Tim or Steve to do a review for the Sky at Night Magazine.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Jules if I remember the Antares was quite expensive so the Bresser 102mm seems a reasonable purchase. Let me know if you buy one but at the moment I would like to read a review. Perhaps we can persuade Tim or Steve to do a review for the Sky at Night Magazine.

Not sure if my funds can warrant it at present, i still seem to be spending all my cash on flying things, lots going on with delta wing planes at mo :grin:

I have been mulling (drooling) over the idea of the 102 all day but common sense has kicked in and i will have to drop this idea for the forseable..........i have got in a nice position of having a great ED120 and cracking little 102 Mak, i would not benefit from the F13 frac

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

I have been mulling (drooling) over the idea of the 102 all day but common sense has kicked in and i will have to drop this idea for the forseable..........i have got in a nice position of having a great ED120 and cracking little 102 Mak, i would not benefit from the F13 frac

I think that's sensible, Jules, and if I hadn't just sold my ED100 I would have hopefully drawn the same conclusion. I'm only justifying the 90mm f13 as I've sold the ED100 and will sell my classic 76mm f/16.

I'm hoping it will be a good compromise in aperture and optical correction at about a third the price I let the ED100 go for.

Also a good chance to test a new scope on the scene. I'm hoping it will be good, but will need to be frank if it isn't and not biased by ownership.  

Might be interesting to compare to my 6" Dob with them both being 1200mm focal length!

Anyway, good serviceby Bresser so far, ordered this morning and shipped by the afternoon :) 

• Like 2

When I started out an 90 mm frac would have been bigger than anything available in the UK at least in the non professional market, still cant understand why anyone would want any more.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

When I started out an 90 mm frac would have been bigger than anything available in the UK at least in the non professional market, still cant understand why anyone would want any more.

Alan

Yes, I very nearly went for a Vixen 90mm achromat as my 1st "proper" scope many years ago. I managed to find a used 102mm Vixen though and went for that instead.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Alan

I don't think we know we're born now days ;)  We live in quite remarkable times when it comes to astro kit. The ying to that yang of course is the light pollution, weather and generally poor UK seeing!

I think you're right though, there is a limit to what's really useful unless you're willing to travel to dark skies!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

I think that's sensible, Jules, and if I hadn't just sold my ED100 I would have hopefully drawn the same conclusion. I'm only justifying the 90mm f13 as I've sold the ED100 and will sell my classic 76mm f/16.

I'm hoping it will be a good compromise in aperture and optical correction at about a third the price I let the ED100 go for.

Also a good chance to test a new scope on the scene. I'm hoping it will be good, but will need to be frank if it isn't and not biased by ownership.  

Might be interesting to compare to my 6" Dob with them both being 1200mm focal length!

Anyway, good serviceby Bresser so far, ordered this morning and shipped by the afternoon :) 

I would bet the new 90mm will out perform the classic F16 by a goodly amount, the EQ3 looks good for the Bresser

• Like 1