Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Long Bresser Refractors now available

If I didn't already own two long 'fracs I might have been tempted by one of these, more likely the 102mm for the slightly larger aperture. Would be interesting to see how it would perform against my f11 or f8.3 scopes, but as I am currently wanting to reduce the number of scopes I have that is out of the question at the moment.

Would be interesting to see your thoughts on it when you get it Chris, and wether this would be a keeper for you, or up for sale quickly to try another scope! :) 

4 hours ago, nightfisher said:

I would bet the new 90mm will out perform the classic F16 by a goodly amount, the EQ3 looks good for the Bresser

Thanks Jules, I think the EQ3 with it's little mods should do fine :) It would be great if the Bresser outperformed the f/16. I'm not expecting it to do so when it comes to correction, but I think it will be a good compromise with the extra aperture.  

An offset fork, Berry style, plywood, Dobby, altazimuth mounting can be made by anyone who can wield an axe or blowlamp, or both.

Teeth or saws optional.

When I were a lad... 1980s?  5" f/15. [12" f/5]

The second image shows the "raw" refractor on scaffolding tripod.

Telescopes dob berry.jpg

Telescopes 5 15  refractor  rsz 500.jpg

Edited by Rusted
adding image
  • Like 1

Staring at photos of the 102/F13 ,figure hovering over the buy now button, trouble is wife also hovering I have to work out if my fear of her outways my desire for another scope which can join the other two I already have which have barely seen the light of day or dark :)

Gordon

• Haha 1

On 08/04/2017 at 15:42, Dave Lloyd said:

Should be reasonably controlled do you think? 

They really should not be able to mess up slow achromat doublets like this. The CA should be fine for the aperture / focal ratio. It's the figure, polish and coatings of the lens elements that will determine the other performance factors. My money would still be on an ED100 but they are quite a bit more expensive than the 102mm F/13 bresser. Probably less expensive to mount though.

Here is a chart which indicates the CA levels that can be expected:

CA-ratio-chart-achro.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
24 minutes ago, Shaun_Astro said:

Did the 90 1200 end up being OK? It's a shame I can't find anything about this frac. Does it have two lenses like the evostar? 

I seem to remember that Chris was not happy with it and returned it in the end.

@Lockie thread is here.

• Like 1

Unless it's a different scope, ENS has one of the Bresser Messier AR-102 F13.2 Hexafocus Optical Tubes  for sale in hardly used condition for £170.

From the comments made previously in this thread, it should be sold within two minutes max of this post going live!  :laugh2:

Link below.

http://ensoptical.co.uk/telescopes/bresser-messier-ar-102