Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Penumbral lunar eclipse timelapse

johnfosteruk

I stayed out for most of the event last night and captured a time lapse. 

300 frames of video every 90 seconds for 110 subs from 22:34-01:54, hand guided & manually timed as you can't do video with my intervalometer. Aligned and cropped in Pipp, Sharpened with a Photoshop action then run through Pipp to create the AVI. 

I didn't notice until the last step that there's evil dust bunnies and a little bit of jitter, but it shows the shadow coming on and going off again quite nicely, so it'll do.

Also Youtube has done auto fix for me, which has blown Tycho and the rays but the overall is an improvement from the original.

I'm going to have a go at reprocessing to make it smoother, but I'm happy with it so I may not :)

And here's a full size image at 01:03 near maximum. 50 frames processed the usual way.

Lunar Eclipse penumbral 11-02-17.png

Mrs Charic has been taken in by the so called 'Snow Moon' and that it actually Snowed here last night.

I've tried to explain, but she's happy that it snowed due to the 'brighter' Moon she saw last night ?

And again, another time lapse video reminding me that I need  Nikon's EH-5a &  EP-5 power adapters, for continued use of the cameras intervalometer, as internal batteries alone may not last long enough.

30 minutes ago, John said:

Very nice John. It was difficult to see those effects visually but seeing the timelapse images enhances them very nicely.

It was definitely visible but only if you stuck with it to notice the effect over time. Unaided it seemed to be a reduction in glare more than anything else and with the bins you could just detect the shadow.

30 minutes ago, Charic said:

Mrs Charic has been taken in by the so called 'Snow Moon' and that it actually Snowed here last night.

I've tried to explain, but she's happy that it snowed due to the 'brighter' Moon she saw last night ?

And again, another time lapse video reminding me that I need  Nikon's EH-5a &  EP-5 power adapters, for continued use of the cameras intervalometer, as internal batteries alone may not last long enough.

Funnily enough it has snowed here today, briefly, however The Present Mrs Foster hasn't put the 2 together :)

9 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Fabulous, John! Your time lapse really captured the event well. I was out there near the peak for my time zone, around 8 pm. EST. Excellent job; well worth the effort, mate. Thanks for sharing!

Reggie :icescream:

Thanks Reggie, glad you got a view mate and love your video.

Archived