Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements

    sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

Alan White

Herschel wedge question.

Recommended Posts

Alan White    869

Having got the taste for a little solar observing with Baader film, I am still nervous about the film.

Looked at the Lunt Herschel wedges and I like the idea, but it raises a question.

Would the 1.25" unit be ok with my Skywatcher ed100 do pro?

 The reason I like the 1.25" is cost, but would I be better with a 2" version.

Your input and thoughts as always are appreciated, Alan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xtreemchaos    9,587

the wedge would work well with your 100ed, I use mine with my ed80 f6, st120 f5 and ar127l f9.5, its a great piece of kit, you wont regret buying one ,I have the 1.25 lunt which I use for vis and ap. charl. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseki    294

If youre ever tempted to get a binoviewer the 1.25" would actually be better for reaching focus with the ed100. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stu    14,445

Wedges are great! The 1.25" will work very well in the 100ED. I don't think the Lunt 2" would be any better.

I started with the Lunt 1.25" and enjoyed it for quite some time. I upgraded to the Baader 2" Cool Ceramic which does give better results at high power, more detail in the granulation etc, but is significantly more expensive. If starting out, I would go for the Lunt 1.25".

Do get a Baader Continuum filter too. They turn the sun bright green but do show you extra detail particularly in areas of faculae.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonshane    9,793

I agree.  it's a far better solution than film. I used my old one on my 120 ed before I got a baader cool wedge. That's a step up in quality but not by a huge margin.

I recommend the baader solar continuum.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alan White    869

Thanks all, so a 1.25" wedge and continuum go on my wants list.
Getting long and exensive this wants list :happy8:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul73    2,452

Good choice. 

The Lunt wedge is one of the best buys in astronomy! 

You will need to cobble together a simple finder, or buy one if you like a neat solution. Obviously, using your normal 9x50 would not be advisable.....

Paul

PS. The next step is normally Ha viewing. Be very afraid ££££££££££😀 My solar finder is a side by side mounted PST.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    17,108

I use a 1.25" Lunt wedge with my Tak 100 and my Vixen 102 ED. These combinations work very well. The definition of the image is a noticable improvement over the Baader film filter that I used to use. I've yet to try a Solar Continum filter though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonshane    9,793

Instead of a finder just take the eyepiece out and look down the holder.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alan White    869
51 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

You will need to cobble together a simple finder, or buy one if you like a neat solution. Obviously, using your normal 9x50 would not be advisable.....

Thanks Paul, yes I already have a solar finder off e-bay, nice and simple and mostly important safe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alan White    869
3 hours ago, John said:

I use a 1.25" Lunt wedge with my Tak 100 and my Vixen 102 ED. These combinations work very well. The definition of the image is a noticable improvement over the Baader film filter that I used to use. I've yet to try a Solar Continum filter though.

John a question for you, do you use a single polariser as Lunt suggest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonshane    9,793

I did. It often helped although it was not beneficial with binoviewers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    17,108
50 minutes ago, Alan White said:

John a question for you, do you use a single polariser as Lunt suggest?

Yes I do. I find the ability to vary the brightness of the image by twisting the eyepiece useful.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LukeSkywatcher    7,414

The wedge is indeed a great bit of kit. I use the 1.25" with my 70mm Travelscope. Solar continuum filters do work well. I didnt think i'd use the one i bought, but use it every time. I also have a variable polarising filter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
101nut    254
2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

 I also have a variable polarising filter.

If you have a wedge it presents a plane polarised image to the eyepiece so you only need a single polarising filter on the eyepiece which can then be rotated to produce the variable filter result.

AndyG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LukeSkywatcher    7,414
On 31/01/2017 at 18:35, 101nut said:

If you have a wedge it presents a plane polarised image to the eyepiece so you only need a single polarising filter on the eyepiece which can then be rotated to produce the variable filter result.

AndyG

This is true. When i bought the wedge, i wasnt sure if the thing was polarised or not hence i bought a variable polariser. Turns out it was polarised and a single lens polarising filter would have been enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JG777    374

I have that combo for solar the 100 ED pro and Lunt 1.25. You can get an Orion solar filter for your 9x50 finder or get the brilliant little Lacerta solar finder. Both on my scope. 

 

 

1486065393022-1686623774.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul73    2,452

Nice setup. Those Hyperion Zooms are fantastic solar tools.

Paul

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alan White    869
35 minutes ago, JG777 said:

I have that combo for solar the 100 ED pro and Lunt 1.25. You can get an Orion solar filter for your 9x50 finder or get the brilliant little Lacerta solar finder. Both on my scope. 

 

 

1486065393022-1686623774.jpg

That does look nice, the focuser and finder match nicely.

What mount are you using out of interest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LukeSkywatcher    7,414

Here's my dedicated (white light) solar observing gear:

70mm Celestron Travelscope

Horizon 8115 tripod

Hyperion 8-24mm zoom

1.25" Hershel Wedge

*safety ND3.0 solar filter in place, *but not visible*

 

 

post-5361-0-97690700-1452271417.jpg

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul73    2,452

Those are two nice setups.

One, ultra portable. The other, ultra stable.

I can't help thinking that an Ha tube on the other side would help with the balance!

IMG_7975.JPG

Something like this? Although the tripod has morphed into a Berlebach Uni 24c and I could use a bigger tube for the white light..... All this from Stu lending me his 1 1/4" Lunt wedge!!!

Paul 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stu    14,445
6 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Those are two nice setups.

One, ultra portable. The other, ultra stable.

I can't help thinking that an Ha tube on the other side would help with the balance!

IMG_7975.JPG

Something like this? Although the tripod has morphed into a Berlebach Uni 24c and I could use a bigger tube for the white light..... All this from Stu lending me his 1 1/4" Lunt wedge!!!

Paul 

My apologies sir, it was most irresponsible of me :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×