SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Herschel wedge question.

Alan White

Having got the taste for a little solar observing with Baader film, I am still nervous about the film.

Looked at the Lunt Herschel wedges and I like the idea, but it raises a question.

Would the 1.25" unit be ok with my Skywatcher ed100 do pro?

The reason I like the 1.25" is cost, but would I be better with a 2" version.

Your input and thoughts as always are appreciated, Alan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wedges are great! The 1.25" will work very well in the 100ED. I don't think the Lunt 2" would be any better.

I started with the Lunt 1.25" and enjoyed it for quite some time. I upgraded to the Baader 2" Cool Ceramic which does give better results at high power, more detail in the granulation etc, but is significantly more expensive. If starting out, I would go for the Lunt 1.25".

Do get a Baader Continuum filter too. They turn the sun bright green but do show you extra detail particularly in areas of faculae.

Good choice. 

The Lunt wedge is one of the best buys in astronomy! 

You will need to cobble together a simple finder, or buy one if you like a neat solution. Obviously, using your normal 9x50 would not be advisable.....

Paul

PS. The next step is normally Ha viewing. Be very afraid ££££££££££? My solar finder is a side by side mounted PST.....

I use a 1.25" Lunt wedge with my Tak 100 and my Vixen 102 ED. These combinations work very well. The definition of the image is a noticable improvement over the Baader film filter that I used to use. I've yet to try a Solar Continum filter though.

51 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

You will need to cobble together a simple finder, or buy one if you like a neat solution. Obviously, using your normal 9x50 would not be advisable.....

Thanks Paul, yes I already have a solar finder off e-bay, nice and simple and mostly important safe.

3 hours ago, John said:

I use a 1.25" Lunt wedge with my Tak 100 and my Vixen 102 ED. These combinations work very well. The definition of the image is a noticable improvement over the Baader film filter that I used to use. I've yet to try a Solar Continum filter though.

John a question for you, do you use a single polariser as Lunt suggest?

50 minutes ago, Alan White said:

John a question for you, do you use a single polariser as Lunt suggest?

Yes I do. I find the ability to vary the brightness of the image by twisting the eyepiece useful.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I also have a variable polarising filter.

If you have a wedge it presents a plane polarised image to the eyepiece so you only need a single polarising filter on the eyepiece which can then be rotated to produce the variable filter result.

AndyG

On 31/01/2017 at 18:35, 101nut said:

If you have a wedge it presents a plane polarised image to the eyepiece so you only need a single polarising filter on the eyepiece which can then be rotated to produce the variable filter result.

AndyG

This is true. When i bought the wedge, i wasnt sure if the thing was polarised or not hence i bought a variable polariser. Turns out it was polarised and a single lens polarising filter would have been enough.

35 minutes ago, JG777 said:

I have that combo for solar the 100 ED pro and Lunt 1.25. You can get an Orion solar filter for your 9x50 finder or get the brilliant little Lacerta solar finder. Both on my scope. 

1486065393022-1686623774.jpg

That does look nice, the focuser and finder match nicely.

What mount are you using out of interest?

Those are two nice setups.

One, ultra portable. The other, ultra stable.

I can't help thinking that an Ha tube on the other side would help with the balance!

IMG_7975.JPG

Something like this? Although the tripod has morphed into a Berlebach Uni 24c and I could use a bigger tube for the white light..... All this from Stu lending me his 1 1/4" Lunt wedge!!!

Paul 

6 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Those are two nice setups.

One, ultra portable. The other, ultra stable.

I can't help thinking that an Ha tube on the other side would help with the balance!

IMG_7975.JPG

Something like this? Although the tripod has morphed into a Berlebach Uni 24c and I could use a bigger tube for the white light..... All this from Stu lending me his 1 1/4" Lunt wedge!!!

Paul 

My apologies sir, it was most irresponsible of me :) 

Archived