newbee

starry spud

Hi all, I am a new member

I received my first scope 11 years ago as a gift from my wife which I am ashamed to say I used maybe a dozen times in the 9 years I owned it as I was dissapointed in what I could resolve through it. It was a 4 and a half inch celestron newtonian with frankly cheap eye pieces (my wife was dissapointed too, she expected hubble). about 18 months ago my enthusiasm was re-kindled as a result of a uk programme called star gazing live and I decided to buy my first go to which is a 5 inch macksutov. I was blown away by what I could find and how clear things were through it but then I got the astrophotography bug and realised I neaded something bigger, thats when I purchased my used 8 inch meade lx90 gps and a canon 450d with atachments and started trying to get some deep sky objects. I have just made....... yes made a wedge so I can polar align the scope and hopefully acheive better acuracy, I am now waiting and waiting and waiting for some clear nights. Do you experts think I stand any chance of acheiving good photos with my kit.

Hi Starry Spud and welcome to SGL. The imaging sections is the place to sort out your imaging capabilities with the equipment you have, I am sure you will find plenty of help there to enable you to produce good results, enjoy the forum :)

Hello and welcome, I am an observer not an imager, so can't help with your question,

i'm sure you will get more results in the imaging forums, hope you enjoy S G L.

Clear Sky's, "soon I hope". 

Hi and welcome to SGL - As an imager I can't really comment on your equipment as I've only ever used a GEM, not a wedge...... Ask any questions you have in the imaging section... someone will be able to advise :)

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Greetings to you, starry spud, and welcome to SGL - it's great to have you aboard here!

Feel absolutely free to ask all questions you'll doubtlessly have in our many forums - we encourage it and love it.

Nice telescopes! Maks are wonderful for planets and other smaller objects, and the lx90 is great on just about everything else. The GPS will get you there!

Starry skies,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Archived