Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ3 mount dovetail mount mod - no drilling required

Knighty2112

Hi all. Just done an improvement to my AZ3 mount to allow easier & quicker changing of any telescope that will work OK with the mount. I have looked for a similar way to add a dovetail mount to the stand, but didn't find any easier way than this. I found a way to do this with two items available quite easily (and pretty cheaply) to enable this, which also doesn't require any extra holes to be drilled anywhere in either the mount or the relevant holders either.

The two items required for this mod are;

Camera adapter plate for AZ3 for £16;

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/camera-adaptor-plate-for-az3.html

And also a Universal dovetail platform, which I sourced from Sky's the Limit off eBay for £29.99;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381445730366?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The centre hole in the Universal dovetail platform can then screw onto the camera adapter plate via the large locking screw, with enough room for another securing bolt to secure it down further to stop any lateral movement to unscrew slightly sideways (one bolt shown in pictures, but going to secure with two bolts). The whole thing can then be bolted to the AZ3 mount with the supplied long bolts that came with the camera adapter plate.

So if your not great at any mods that require drilling etc, this could be a good way to allow easier mounting/dismounting of your scope if you have an AZ3 mount. Photos below show my ST80 ED DS-Pro 'frac on the mount.  :)

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

Good use of accessories. I alread have the camera plate on my AZ3 as use that for me ST80A. I was thinking of using one of my existing camera ball head quick release plates but I haven't had a chance to compare sizes to see if it spreads wide enough for the dove bar on my ST80 though I could check to see if it spreads wide enough for my heritage 130p.

38 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Good use of accessories. I alread have the camera plate on my AZ3 as use that for me ST80A. I was thinking of using one of my existing camera ball head quick release plates but I haven't had a chance to compare sizes to see if it spreads wide enough for the dove bar on my ST80 though I could check to see if it spreads wide enough for my heritage 130p.

Thanks. :) 

• 7 months later...

great idea. i have Sky watcher 127Mak and i am wondering if the single screw of the camera adapter plate would be strong/reliable enough to take the load of my scope (i have a similar dovetail clamp). Have you tried a bigger scope than the one shown in picture? 

Archived