Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette - Old data, new approach

Uranium235

Over the last year I've been busy refining my processing technique, new tricks etc... so I thought I would revisit last years Rosette data.

Looking back, the process I did then was a little harsh - as the transition between the OIII core and outer Ha seemed too abrupt (which was mentioned by a few). So this time ive been a lot more careful with it, going from a blue, through to a yellow, then into red (all via selective colour).

I've also reprocessed the Ha luminance into somthing a lot less "burnt", held back on local contrast (just blended @ 50%) and lifted the background Ha a little using a different layer mask technique (painting it in, rather than a straight composite).

Hopefully over the next couple of months I will be able to add a shedload more data to this to take it up to the next level (100% noise free).

Thanks for looking! :)

30992324730_f14a5ff977_k.jpg

The processing is working really well and nice to see someone sticking with their style.  Background is very nice as well.  I'll set yo a challenge of getting some colours into the NB stars not a lot just a little and think you will have all the elements you need.

Some nice range in the red colours also present (could you do more as on typical NB would be yellow to brown range) and this helps provide better insight to the structure and some depth.

Look forward to the next iteration.

Paddy

2 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

The processing is working really well and nice to see someone sticking with their style.  Background is very nice as well.  I'll set yo a challenge of getting some colours into the NB stars not a lot just a little and think you will have all the elements you need.

Some nice range in the red colours also present (could you do more as on typical NB would be yellow to brown range) and this helps provide better insight to the structure and some depth.

Look forward to the next iteration.

Paddy

Thanks Paddy :) I guess I could have a go at getting some star colour in there with a bit of tinkering. With the cannistra technique you have to zap the star colour, or do what I did and create a starless colour layer - otherwise you end up with unsightly blue halos from the OIII layer.

I'll have a bash later tonight and see what I get.

1 minute ago, Uranium235 said:

Thanks Paddy :) I guess I could have a go at getting some star colour in there with a bit of tinkering. With the cannistra technique you have to zap the star colour, or do what I did and create a starless colour layer - otherwise you end up with unsightly blue halos from the OIII layer.

I'll have a bash later tonight and see what I get.

I know its almost counterintuitive to worry about in NB but i like it, just creates extra feel 'if available'.  Certainly nothing to worry about too much though. Paddy

2 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

I know its almost counterintuitive to worry about in NB but i like it, just creates extra feel 'if available'.  Certainly nothing to worry about too much though. Paddy

Tried and failed mate! The star colour blows out quite easily when I try to get them up to the same size as the ones in the cannistra image.

What I could do is use the DSLR for proper RGB star colour. Im planning on getting my young boy out again this weekend for some more colour imaging (something nice and easy like Kembles Cascade), so while Im there I might grab some RGB stars for the Rosette later in the evening. They should be easier to incorporate into the image since they are larger to start off with. I'll just choose a short(ish) sub length @ ISO400, that should do the trick.

4 minutes ago, johnrt said:

Looks like a tunnel here ringed by all that fiery hydrogen gas, very nice indeed.

Yes, I was just thinking that. I can imagine flying through it in my starship! :). Super image. 

Archived