NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Frost sticking wheels to rails, anyone?

ollypenrice

Hi All,

one of our robotic sheds failed to close in the small hours and the owners think that the wheels may have got stuck by frost to the rails. Both are metal and there was a heavy frost. I'm not sure about this because, while I can imagine frost sticking wheels to rails in the parked open position, I cannot see it doing so once the roof was rolling (as was the case here.) Has anyone seen this effect on their observatory? This is the only shed here with metal wheels and metal rails.

I thought of trying chainsaw oil lightly applied to the rails to deter frost build up. I suppose a preparatory dose of road salt might also be effective. Any other ideas?

The rails are like this, an inverted vee, with vee section wheels to match.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Takahashi-EM200TEC140/i-N8tfTpf/0/L/RAILS-L.jpg

Olly

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, andrew s said:

British Rail have the complete set of reasons for these problems! 

Yes don't use salt it can cause corrosion. I would try clean sand. 

Regards Anndrew

Hmm... that sounds a brit abrasive! Wouldn't melt the ice anyway, would it?

Guaranteed Remote operation is a "level up" though! Four "wardrobe" castors
running in 2" U-channel - A mix of Water, Brown grease, and insect parts here! :icon_puke_l:

Not to make light of THIS problem, but I spent HOURS worrying whether I
would be "man enough" to push my observatory roof... But I was (still am)! :D

I have an domestic sliding door... The wheels seem to part slide and part roll?
Again, an ample DOLLOP of brown (petroleum-based) grease seems to help! :p

There is a product that is used on boat winches, seacocks etc on boats that are going through the Southern Oceans and other cold places - a light smear on any parts you really don't want to jam is all that's needed. Prevents rusting too. The only caveat is don't put it on anything you might ever want to paint - it wont stick.

http://www.marathonleisure.co.uk/section.php?xSec=1514&xPage=1&jssCart=351a7b86e7396621bca597e3f0eb6c44

If you think it will do the job and if you cant find it locally just PM me and I will post it to you.

I was worried about that last night with a hard frost and wanting to open my roof but it was fine.  120mm diameter stainless steel wheels on galvanised steel track with raised semi-circular form running part.  Sold as gate rolling rails and wheels.

On 01/12/2016 at 18:30, Skipper Billy said:

There is a product that is used on boat winches, seacocks etc on boats that are going through the Southern Oceans and other cold places - a light smear on any parts you really don't want to jam is all that's needed. Prevents rusting too. The only caveat is don't put it on anything you might ever want to paint - it wont stick.

http://www.marathonleisure.co.uk/section.php?xSec=1514&xPage=1&jssCart=351a7b86e7396621bca597e3f0eb6c44

If you think it will do the job and if you cant find it locally just PM me and I will post it to you.

Thanks, if this persists I'll look into it. Very kind offer.

Olly

On 01/12/2016 at 21:09, martin_h said:

I wouldn't have thought that frost would have stuck the wheels to the rails, perhaps if it had been raining before hand, but not just frost!

That's my feeling. I think this is more to do with the remote commanding than anything physical but maybe the motor doesn't like the cold.

Olly

Hard upstanding frost can present a considerable resistance to rolling. If the V sections are too good a match there can be quite a surface area in contact. It would be beneficial to have the V groove in the wheels a larger angle than that of the rails, this would mean that the trough of the wheels would ride on the crest of the rail. The locating design of the V's would be maintained but there would be more clearance at the sides.   :icon_biggrin:

10 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Perhaps we should take a hint from railway lines where the wheels don't actually run on top of the track but on the shoulder, mind you might have trouble if you got leaves on them :grin:

Dave

This would give more grip but might not be what is needed to avoid the OP issue.   :icon_biggrin:

10 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Perhaps we should take a hint from railway lines where the wheels don't actually run on top of the track but on the shoulder, mind you might have trouble if you got leaves on them :grin:

Dave

Olly, I had the same happen last week for the first time. I have the same rail/wheel set-up also. I'm waiting to see if it's a regular thing before taking action but am interested in ideas for prevention. I'm concerned about lubricant type methods as they will tend to pick up dirt/dust? failing that maybe a can of de-icer in the roll-off shed. I can't see it being an issue here more than a few times a yr.

Thanks all.

The owners of the kit also did some homework and found that some people have had ice freeze up the wheelbearings. Again I don't see how this can stop the wheels once rolling, which is always what happens, but after applying a water repellent spray to bearings, wheels and tracks it has been working perfectly. It's just a French version of WD40 so far as I can tell.

My wheels don't drive. A motor attaced to the roof pulls itself along a bcycle chain.

Well, we may be sorted. I'll update as we find out.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're not sorted! The roof stalled again in mid run for no reason that I can see. Grrr. It is certainly related to the cold, though. I wonder if the motor doesn't like the cold. I need to catch it in the act but, so far, it wors perfectly whenever I test it.

Olly

7 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Well, we're not sorted! The roof stalled again in mid run for no reason that I can see. Grrr. It is certainly related to the cold, though. I wonder if the motor doesn't like the cold. I need to catch it in the act but, so far, it wors perfectly whenever I test it.

Olly

Maybe you could give the motor and moving parts a quick blast with a hairdryer if it happens again :p

Louise

Archived