SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observatory base

Hi

I have seen a number of obervatorys online and most often they have a decked base.

i have temporarily place my shedpod on old patio consisting of concrete slabs which require some TLC. I'm wondering whether I should aim to place the shedpod on decking once I have tidied up the patio or not. I don't wish to spend more money on decking if there se no advantages to doing so

Please could you advise if there are any advantages for me to place my obsy on decking over a concrete patio slabs e.g. less moisture, less vibrations, or less creepy crawlies?

Also are there any clever ways to reduce spiders as I have been getting a few spider webs inside the obsy. Recently I had to remove the mirror to remove some webs from the ota despite it having a dust cap and a dust cover?

Thanks for reading

Ian

Apart from relative ease of laying, I can't see any particular advantage to having a decking base - it will require maintenance whereas a concrete slab or paving will be pretty permanent and maintenance-free. I am on dome number two (dome number one is performing perfectly for the new owner) and the updated dome is sitting on the concrete base I poured in 2006.

Of more importance is the isolation of the pier block from the rest of the base and this is, of course, easier with decking but not that much of an issue with two concrete pours.

No creepy crawlies though concrete but I still get the occasional spider and sadly, hundreds of ladybirds in the season!

I guess maybe people put them on decking to lessen the effects of the cold/damp coming up from the ground? I would be more concerned about a good solid vibration free base myself. My observatory is on a solid concrete base with a couple of layers of rubber matts.

As for the "creepy crawlies" I hoover once week always, generally they don't like regular disturbance. A few are going to be unavoidable unfortunately. Also I keep the contents of the observatory down to a minimum, less places for them to hide :shocked: :icon_biggrin:

Thank you for your support.

I must admit what with the weather and my work I'm not spending as much time in there as I would like and a bit more movement might indeed scare the creepys away. 

I wonder if I should try some kind draught excluder too around the bottom of the dome or some sealant to stop the little visitors.

I will stick with the concrete slabs for now and get a rubber mat as soon as I have sunk a pier in to the ground.

Cheers

Ian

Hello Ian, With regard to the creepy crawlies, My dome is fitted with brush seals which keeps them out. Not my idea it was delivered that way. I made the mistake of having my Orbsey erected on decking, not a good idea. there is a post somewhere on here that goes into detail on the disadvantages of decking used as an observatory base. The correct way to go is a concrete base and sort out condensation problems if any afterwards.....................regds Dave

Archived