SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 200pds eq5 for astrophotography?

Hi ive always wanted to get into astrophotography. Here in Sweden at the last year of high school you get to choose whatever topic you want for a project and i chose astrophotography. Now im going through the pain of finding a good kit. The best one ive found is the skywatcher 200pds eq5 that is within my price range.
http://www.teleskop-...5-Teleskop.html
For a camera i was thinking canon eos1000d or 1100d. I just wanted to ask if this was a ok setup? I know the mount isnt the best but its the best for my budget.

I would suggest the 130PDS would sit better on the EQ5  ,  the 200PDS is too much for that mount and really needs the HEQ5Pro or above to carry it.

The 200 is a veritable wind-catcher and the lighter mount will leave you frustrated when you lose sub after sub to slight breezes .

6 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

I would suggest the 130PDS would sit better on the EQ5  ,  the 200PDS is too much for that mount and really needs the HEQ5Pro or above to carry it.

The 200 is a veritable wind-catcher and the lighter mount will leave you frustrated when you lose sub after sub to slight breezes .

Ugh fine, heq5 it is then.... Gonna hurt my wallet. 

http://astro.astrosweden.se/sv/articles/2.23.563/sky-watcher-explorer-200pds-heq5-pro good?

You sound like a serious man and with that in mind don't go for anything less than the EQ6 even if it means going smaller, say 150PDS on the scope. Imaging is all about the accuracy of tracking so you can get longer exposures. Larger scopes put more strain on the mount and a 5 minute sub could be ruined by a simple stiff breeze. Scopes tend to come and go where as a good mount is often here to stay.

6 hours ago, spaceboy said:

You sound like a serious man and with that in mind don't go for anything less than the EQ6 even if it means going smaller, say 150PDS on the scope. Imaging is all about the accuracy of tracking so you can get longer exposures. Larger scopes put more strain on the mount and a 5 minute sub could be ruined by a simple stiff breeze. Scopes tend to come and go where as a good mount is often here to stay.

So is the 200pds on heq5 good?

Some even say the 200pds is too big for the EQ6, I had this discussion a few month ago and it was quite disappointing. Above all, there was no inexpensive solution, so I gave up really fast and stick with visual observation only. (and sketching)

--> Has seen here from serious people building an observatory, a permanent concrete pillar coming out from the floor with the massive equatorial mount bolted on the top of it seems to be the way to go. But that's an observatory project.

You sound very keen to get a 200PDS, but honestly, you will have a much better FOV with a smaller scope such as the 130PDS that has been suggested.  You will be able to get the larger targets into the FOV.  

I agree with all the comments above regarding the sturdiness of the mount, and a 200PDS is quite a big scope for an HEQ5.  Maybe something in between like 150PDS might be a good compromise, it will be a much better weight for your mount. 

Take a look at this link, put your camera into this, and try both size scopes and try the different targets to see what you will fit in.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

Don't worry about aperture. Go for the smaller scope with the shorter focal length and wider field of view. The reduced weight and focal length will make tracking easier whatever mount you have. The 130PDS takes superb images and being under mounted wrecks images as effectively as a cloudy sky. You are getting the right advice here on this thread.

Olly.

I have used the 200PDS on a HEQ5 with mixed results - mostly not very good. It's a beast of a scope and will test the HEQ5 in all but perfect conditions. Add a camera and a guide scope and I reckon you will struggle to balance it with the included 10kg of counterweight, which should tell you something...

It may be worth mentioning that the 200PDS is by far my least used scope - it's just too big and cumbersome.

There are some very experienced imagers giving you extremely good advice here - if your stuck on getting a newt I'd definitely go for the 130PDS which is a fine little scope but if your budget will allow it go for an ED80, maybe second hand. I guarantee that you'll love it, no collimation worries etc, etc.

Just my 2 cents, HTH! :happy11:

All the best

Rich

Agree on the above points.

The HEQ5 is really the minimum fool-proof (If there is such a thing) mount and is set up for guiding (The EQ5 isn't as stock).

On the HEQ5 a 200P-DS will be WAY too much scope, (Why are you fixated on it?). A 130P-DS or better a ED80 with reducer will give you a much better start. The 130P-DS will need a coma corrector too. The Baader MPCC is probably the best short of silly money.

Budget also for a finder-guider and guide camera.

I have to say I am sensible when you guys suggest to just buy another expensive piece of equipments like if it's nothing. Maybe the first telescope was put on the credit card and it's not even paid (we never know), I tend to consider that factor to prevent pushing people into just buying things.

Also considering the fact that there is no short cut to do photography with a low budget, or using a EQ5 motorized or not (in the actual 200). My best advice would be to use the current instrument to do visual, to push it to it's limits until it has paid for itself.  When the OP becomes a master with the actual instrument, then it's ok to buy something else to do something else.

Maybe rough but that's what I believe.

But the original poster has stated categorically that his primary aim is for astrophotography and has chosen his school topic especially for this.  He won;t be happy with an observing set up.  the trouble is if he buys something that won't do imaging, he won't be satisfied and will just lose money when he needs to purchase an imaging set up later on. 

None of the advice on here will be a waste of money, they will do exactly what he wants it to do.

Carole 

1 hour ago, N3ptune said:

I have to say I am sensible when you guys suggest to just buy another expensive piece of equipments like if it's nothing. Maybe the first telescope was put on the credit card and it's not even paid (we never know), I tend to consider that factor to prevent pushing people into just buying things.

Also considering the fact that there is no short cut to do photography with a low budget, or using a EQ5 motorized or not (in the actual 200). My best advice would be to use the current instrument to do visual, to push it to it's limits until it has paid for itself.  When the OP becomes a master with the actual instrument, then it's ok to buy something else to do something else.

Maybe rough but that's what I believe.

There are those who want to image and those who want to visually observe. You will see in the below thread that some imagers have never even looked through an eyepiece other than to align their scope.

The OP has stated imaging and he sound serious enough to me about following that path. I'm not being funny but if you want the best results be it visual or imaging, astronomy can be an expensive hobby. You only have to look at some of the "show me your" threads to see that. I personally feel it is false economy to advise someone to buy something if I know it isn't going to be up to the task. It is then down to them to decide if it is within their budget given all the information given across the thread.

When I first started in astrophotography I used a 200p on an eq5 and while it was sort of do-able, it was a struggle.

If I had the ability to start again I would have definitely gone for a 130pds (not the standard 130p) on a HEQ5. It would have saved me alot of money.

There is some very good advice given to you in this thread. My only advice would be to take the advice that has already been given.

Archived