SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Problem fitting ON-STEP V4 pro RA motor on an EQ5 mount

Hi All

I Purchased from AliExpress a On-step V4 Pro go-to kit  for an EQ5 Mount about 5+years old this is the older style without the green trim. On Mounting the RA motor the bottom end of the bracket is lifting up once the bolt has been tightened, this is loosening the drive belt if I  move the motor back there is not enough adjust to retighten the belt. looking at the bracket the mounting hole is to one side and this makes the bracket not sitting straight on the mount, this makes the bracket tighten down into fresh air. Has anybody else had this problem and what was your fix?

My suggested fix is to get some thinnish ally sheet to sit across the mount given a flat stable surface see photos.

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

Edited by The storm fisherman
photo

I had one of these with an astroeq... 3d printing is your friend  - there are bases that can be printed which fill in that gap, in fact they are designed to house the whole stepper motor.

Ill try to dig out pictures... 

Ady

I had one of these with an astroeq... 3d printing is your friend  - there are bases that can be printed which fill in that gap, in fact they are designed to house the whole stepper motor.

Found this on thingiverse as an example

Screenshot_2024-02-05-21-30-40-81_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg.3a3f9a612d2aa84c692787c77aa25182.jpg

Ady

Had a productive day Yesterday (Saturday) cut and drilled the 1mm ally plate to remount the RA motor bracket the concept worked but because the ally was too thin and slightly bent inwards, so lifting up the bottom of the bracket up by a tiny amount. Going to remake the backing plate with the 2mm ally sheet, see photos. DA

Both Motors fitted

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

• 1 month later...

I Just manged to fit a stepper motor driver into the spare connector in the on step control unit for the auto focuser. Also if anyone requires the Molex part Number for the plug its available on eBay 2 plugs with the crimp socket pins for about £5.49 just need to work out the wiring placement squence to the stepper motor. The part number is as follows 

Molex 43025-0400 Micro-Fit 4 Way Connector