NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The novelty of Mr Owl's visits is wearing off...

ChrisLX200

Especially when a simple request to "Get the **** off my scope you little ****" shouted through the obs door doesn't do anything and I have to actually go outside before it finally does one... So I need some anti-owl strategy because amusing as it might seem it's not funny when it lands on the scope during a 30min sub!

ChrisH

owl4_zps0f1ps2mk.jpg

owl3_zpssavp2imt.jpg

owl5_zpssqzu1yuq.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes you say it is not funny? Best laugh I have had all day, and photographs to prove it.

I guess they are a protected species also. I would like to know why he/she/it finds the scope so appealing. You must be about the only person that has their imaging disrupted by an owl. Makes a diiference for wind, clouds and assorted equipment failures.

Have you give it a name ? Well a printable one anyway.

I know several wildlife photographers that would kill to get that sort of photograph, couple of them have lens that I suspect cost more then most scopes.

Not helping much am I :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

In what is probably a vain effort to help, you can buy very cheaply a strip of bird deterrent plastic spikes on eBay, and elsewhere, which could be fashioned into a circle around your dew shield. (Or a tasteful crescent on top!)

And while I can appreciate your frustration, I would feel privileged to have a splendid bird like that anywhere close. ?

There are owls at my primary observing location. I hear them calling more often than I see them. They do make the occasional low-level pass when out hunting, and it's cool to see them out.

I don't image, so no such issues, and I don't use an obsy, so I am my own scarecrow, as it were.

How to keep an owl away in an owl-friendly manner? Will have to give this some thought.

About 15 feet away is the edge of my ornamental pool with rockery and I know for a fact there is a lot of tasty frogs/mice etc living in there. A couple of weeks ago I was sat in the obs with the door open and a weasel scurried past and disappeared in the rockery - it knew there was prey to be had in there. So yes, the Owl has very good reason to be there and it's an ideal spot. So, thinking about that perhaps if I put an alternative perch nearby which offered a similar view it would choose that instead?

ChrisH

edit Patrick beat me to it while I was typing!

25 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

if I put an alternative perch nearby which offered a similar view it would choose that instead?

edit Patrick beat me to it while I was typing!

and I was going to suggest a dummy scope, but got called away by  S@N meanwhile :)

Maybe an unwanted 80frac :duckie::duckie::duckie:

Actually, I think it is a well behaved owl, it knows you wont be wanting to use the scope cos there is a moon up :) Hmmm well almost ,  its timing might be out slightly, but it's only an owl doing its best :)

When did it do this last time ? I remember your post but , ,  > >

35 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Actually, I think it is a well behaved owl, it knows you wont be wanting to use the scope cos there is a moon up :) Hmmm well almost ,  its timing might be out slightly, but it's only an owl doing its best :)

When did it do this last time ? I remember your post but , ,  > >

August 9th.....

Chris, one thing is for sure, your images are better this time, the practise is obviously paying off ;) 

I'd say: get wildlife photographers and filmmakers to make all the shots they want while the owl sits quietly at your obsy, then find a smell that repels it. Or a sound, but beware that even animals like metal, nowadays; the cat I'm fostering bangs his head when I play distortion. :headbang: Hey, this makes me think: they might also like the olfactory equivalent of metal, so your search might be difficult. Not going crazy at all here, just seeing all the possibilties. :evil:

Well I heard it land on my shed roof an hour later (it's a heavy blighter which lands with a right 'clunk' then shuffles across to the apex from where it has a good view of what's going on) but thankfully it hasn't gone back to the scope. Maybe it caught a furry lunch and went home :) It's still a clear night here so I'm continuing to image for a while yet. It's amazing how simple things like a pool of water, bog plants, piles of rocks and some stacked thick wood branches can offer a haven for wildlife. I prefer that to sterile acres of lawn (not that I have acres...)

Anyway, with no decent astro images captured recently for a laugh I've submitted it to S@N hotshots :)

ChrisH

5 hours ago, Gina said:

I love owls :)

Chris used to as well :)

I think he needs a few more frames and one of those focus stacking progs :happy7:

How about a Witches Broom somewhere nearby, it might take the hint ?

If we club together we could buy Chris a pea-green boat and a [removed word argh !] cat pussycat hah!, and hope they'd sail away for a year and a day ? :) not sure about the runcible spoon though.

Archived