NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The novelty of Mr Owl's visits is wearing off...

ChrisLX200

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Stu said:

Perhaps what you need is a dummy owl on your scope......

Our local church had a dummy owl.  The pigeons used to love to flock round it.  As for SilverAstro's owl, I'd be chuffed to get that close to one!  

Last night I saw the usual bats, then later almost tripped up on a large hedgehog that had emerged to keep me company!

Doug.

Well if you do provide a centrally heated mouse tracking perch what do you expect.;)

Install a million candle power security light, it won't like that and will go somewhere else.

I've got tawny owls and barn owls mostly. The barn owls are resident and thus over the years have become accustomed to my nocturnal activities, and yes they do perch on anything appropriate for mouse watching. At least your owl is outside and not staring down from the top of a bookcase in the kitchen!

Good idea to build a perch at the spot you indicate, add in some steak chunks, and a motion triggered camera and you'll be onto a winner.

Rich

I actually appreciate the Owl's efforts in keeping the local rodent population down and would otherwise encourage its presence, there are few cats around here to do that job and they couldn't easily get into my garden anyway (I doubt they would try with my two dogs around!). My Cairn Terrier goes nuts when she hears the Owls screaching at each other in the middle of the night. The last thing I need is mice getting into my shed and chewing on some expensive things - thinking about that I must buy some mouse traps to put in there just in case...

ChrisH

On 11/09/2016 at 20:59, ChrisLX200 said:

Especially when a simple request to "Get the **** off my scope you little ****" shouted through the obs door doesn't do anything and I have to actually go outside before it finally does one... So I need some anti-owl strategy because amusing as it might seem it's not funny when it lands on the scope during a 30min sub!

ChrisH

owl4_zps0f1ps2mk.jpg

An unappreciated treasure.

Rodents have caused a lot of damage here even with cats.  Cables have to be in conduits or they get gnawed through - anyone want loads of short pieces of CAT5e and USB cable???

On 12/09/2016 at 20:08, ChrisLX200 said:

thinking about that I must buy some mouse traps to put in there just in case...

I call that just downright ungrateful, here he is with a mouser and a chum that Chris Packham would die for and all he wants is more mouse traps, huh !

Have you thought about turning it into a webcam so's we can all watch ?

:duckie::duckie::duckie::duckie:

Archived