Hi Res Lunar shots ASI 290mm Good seeing

neil phillips

Got some good seeing on the morning of the 23rd August Though by the time I switched cameras it was morning. shooting in daylight, which has made the dynamics a little more washed out. Still under good seeing I will take it, 40 plus degrees only, Click all for larger sizes. None has been upscaled  Most of the shots are downsized from capture size, but there is a couple at full resolution, if I remember.  Used a Altair IR 685 Filter great little filter this. Producing good results. First light on lunar with my ASI 290mm, Which has done well.

plato

plato.png

Alpine Valley Virtually in daylight, Hence the brightness

alpine vally.png

Eudoxus  and Aristoteles

Aristoteles,.png

Eudoxus.png

lunar 2 png.png

lunar.png

This one is full capture size

Soffler full.png

Downsized added contrast and sharpeningStoffler and maurolycus.png

38 minutes ago, si@nite said:

Your usual high standard Neil, stunning images of our nearest neighbour!

Hi Simon, I am actually very encouraged by the real first light on lunar of both the 290 chip, and 12" scope, seeing was quite stable, but still not as high elevation as it can get. The brightness in the morning sky, increasingly washing out the tonal dynamics, though the Altair IR 685 seemed to be helping a lot. I certainly intend on using this again, as the avis themselves showed a calming effect. Everything we would expect from 685 wavelengths.

I never really thought these wavelengths would offer such a advantage over say a good quality red filter. But of course that was before I was using a bigger scope. Now I think the combination is going to be a real force to be reckoned with under somewhat disturbed UK skies. Looking forward to trying again. I know you asked me this question before Simon, in our private convos. Well now is my revised thinking on this. As long as the optics are quite large, because of the 50% transmission of the filter. I urge you to try similar. if seeing is reasonable at high elevations, you should notice a fairly calm avi, spending time on focussing, should result in some very usable results. I will learn more over time. But so far I think this filter is a lunar killer. As its brand name is planet killer. We shall see on that one in a few weeks as Jupiter will be back.  low this year, perfect for stabilizing seeing filters with large scopes

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 17:37, morimarty said:

Some of the best lunar images I've seen on this forum Neil, Exceptional Work!

Cheers for that Martin, seeing was really rather stable for UK Skies, especially at 40 plus degrees only. Hope I get a taste of that kind of seeing again soon. But I don't underestimate how good the filter I used here,l was also helping, the already good seeing. I am definitely using it again on the next outing

Cheers

Archived