SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Erupting solar prominence animation

tooth_dr

I pointed my solar telescope at a small prominence in the hope that it would do something whilst I imaged it.  Because I am new to solar imaging I don't know whether this is particularly lucky, or if it's something that's easily caught.  Over the space of about an hour I captured 18 videos, each of 1000 frames, using a mono DMK21.  I stacked 10% of the frames, and then manually went about aligning and cropping the 18 stacked images because ImPPG didn't like to do it for me.  I also took an image of the solar surface, just to get rid of the white in the image, and add something visually interesting to the solar disc.  I used a curves adjustment to make it orange, and then made a movie in MS Movie Maker.

Hope you enjoy it!

41 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Well done, particularly with not a lot going on ATM.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm actually warming to this solar imaging carry on.

4 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Awesome work.. love it.

Thanks MG :D

Just now, tooth_dr said:

Thanks MG :D

I have the Coronado SolarMax II scope which I haven't used in way too long. I am planning to do a timelapse of the sun in HAlpha one day too...

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

There have been some awesome prom lift offs over the years, leaping millions of kilometres into space.

If you root back a couple of years in this forum, when the Sun was more active, you should find some examples.

Dave

3 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

I have the Coronado SolarMax II scope which I haven't used in way too long. I am planning to do a timelapse of the sun in HAlpha one day too...

I was very much planning on selling this scope earlier this year but I convinced myself to give it another year!  However after a recent mini outreach session, it's clear that this type of visual observing is a huge hit with the general public, especially with the binoviewers.  For that reason alone I would keep it, but the imaging is great.

7 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I was very much planning on selling this scope earlier this year but I convinced myself to give it another year!  However after a recent mini outreach session, it's clear that this type of visual observing is a huge hit with the general public, especially with the binoviewers.  For that reason alone I would keep it, but the imaging is great.

I think that selling should be the last resort... the gear is expensive new and selling generally get us peanuts... Personally I'd rather keep my astro gear that I might use eventually, such as my SMII.

Selling a solar scope would more certainly result in eventual disappointment and regret... at least for me.

Good annimation.

Not saying I do it right but i tend to do shorter captures but more of them

200 frames every couple of mintues (or even 30 secs if its real active) stack 50 of the best then run it through PS annimation routine.

6 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

Good annimation.

Not saying I do it right but i tend to do shorter captures but more of them

200 frames every couple of mintues (or even 30 secs if its real active) stack 50 of the best then run it through PS annimation routine.

Cheers Steve. Thanks for this advice. I was just using an arbitrary amount. I did notice in some of the videos there was movement of the flare within the video itself. This created an issue when stacking. 

I suppose the million dollar Q is how do you know it’s going to be active :D

4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I suppose the million dollar Q is how do you know it’s going to be active

If you run the days movie on GONG you can see if any proms or ARs are performing.

If you're using Firecapture you can set it going taking a time lapse and leave it to it for an hour or so.

Dave

16 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

If you run the days movie on GONG you can see if any proms or ARs are performing.

If you're using Firecapture you can set it going taking a time lapse and leave it to it for an hour or so.

Dave

Thanks Dave - I did find that autocapture button you mentioned before, worked a treat :D

I do use Gong, and it did point me in the direction of recent erupting flares, so I just guestimated where to aim for.  I think that's half the fun.  I did image another small AR, and there was zero activity over an hour.

8 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

so I just guestimated where to aim for.  I think that's half the fun.  I did image another small AR, and there was zero activity over an hour.

Same technique as I use then

Archived