Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope fail

the best packaged scope id ever had arrive was  ar150l i got straight from bresser about 8 or so years ago, it looked like a upright fridge when it got here ,a box then padding then the scope box then the scope padded inside, like one of them Egyption mummy thingys.  charl.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bresser still seems to pack their scopes well, bought a refractor, another 102 as it happens, and it was very well packed. 2 boxes, with polystryene clam shell shaped bits between, then a formed plastic upper and lower the held the scope in place at the front, middle and rear. One of the mouldings is a good 8" thick as they pack the eyepieces, diagonal and others bits in that, does mean the front has also to be 8" thick simply to end up with a flat surface to fold and tape the interior box flap to. Suspect they could have dropped it out of the plane as it went over and it would have been OK after it stopped bouncing.  Forget how long it took from slicing into the first length of tape to actually managing to see the first sign of white scope. Actually extracting it took more time.

That is such a shame, but I can't say I'm surprised, as you say I was very underwhelmed when I opened mine... fortunately in my scopes case I bought from greenwitch in leeds, as i could collect and they QA'd the scope before I picked it up.

I'm sure you'll get this sorted in no time and have that scope out under the stars..

I guess this is always a problem when vendors sell diet from manufacturers, if the courier is the week link, no amount of Styrofoam peanuts are going to protect a boxes contents when dropped from a van, whether it's triple boxed or not.. 

Shoddy delivery services  (budget related nodoubt, in a competitive market) just boil your pot don't they!

Hope it's sorted pdq.

Ta

Fozzie

25 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

That is such a shame, but I can't say I'm surprised, as you say I was very underwhelmed when I opened mine... fortunately in my scopes case I bought from greenwitch in leeds, as i could collect and they QA'd the scope before I picked it up.

I'm sure you'll get this sorted in no time and have that scope out under the stars..

I guess this is always a problem when vendors sell diet from manufacturers, if the courier is the week link, no amount of Styrofoam peanuts are going to protect a boxes contents when dropped from a van, whether it's triple boxed or not.. 

Shoddy delivery services  (budget related nodoubt, in a competitive market) just boil your pot don't they!

Hope it's sorted pdq.

Ta

Fozzie

Thanks. I hope it is too. :) 

If I'm expecting something delicate especially that requires signature, I make the driver wait whilst I open the boxes. They don't like it one bit, but no signature unless there's no immediately apparent damage. If there is damage, no signature, and they take it away.

And even more so if the box is crushed anywhere.

18 hours ago, Stu said:

If only they were all like Tak. A box inside a box inside a box! I wonder why they cost so much? ;) 

Hmm, makes me think: Skywatchers use only one box less (box inside a box). Must be mighty expensive boxes if that'd be the only difference. :icon_biggrin:

Such a false economy to have so many returns due to inadequate packaging. I've been very lucky so far, but I must admit to getting a little nervous when a new scope or astro related product is on it's way. I always try to order stuff on a Monday, that way it isn't sitting in the couriers warehouse over the weekend and the drivers are hopefully in a better mood by Tuesday or Wednesday when it's delivered :icon_biggrin:       

Update:

Sending the telescope back to Telescope House to get a new focuser fitted, and the optics checked. Apparently (so I've been told), there are no more of these telescopes available according to Altair Astro, so going to get the scope fitted with a new focuser and see how it goes, on the proviso that if it doesn't still seem right to me when I get it back I can have a full refund instead. Should be collected later this week. 

There are a number of assumptions in this thread regarding how the poor performance of the focuser came to be. It could indeed be damage in transit but it could also be poor QC from the factory. I receive quite a few scopes here on behalf of their owners and undamaged boxes have been opened to reveal unsatisfactory scopes. On the other hand my second hand Tak 106 arrived in a badly damaged box (and badly damaged flight case) and was, none the less, more than good enough for me to use.

My point is just that we should not jump to conclusions. There are enough bad focusers out there to sink an Armada.

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

There are a number of assumptions in this thread regarding how the poor performance of the focuser came to be. It could indeed be damage in transit but it could also be poor QC from the factory. I receive quite a few scopes here on behalf of their owners and undamaged boxes have been opened to reveal unsatisfactory scopes. On the other hand my second hand Tak 106 arrived in a badly damaged box (and badly damaged flight case) and was, none the less, more than good enough for me to use.

My point is just that we should not jump to conclusions. There are enough bad focusers out there to sink an Armada.

Olly

Perhaps, but the fact that the box had been repacked by DHL does point more to damaged caused in transit I think. I have repacked the scope so that it is well padded with both bubble wrap, and scrunched up paper too to fill the whole box as it is going to have two more trips via the post, so hopefully no further damage should occur (fingers crossed). I'm hoping for the best anyway as I do like the scope itself, so hope the new focuser gets fitted & more importantly works as it should do when I get it back. :) 

Starting to get a little cheesed off now. Awaiting Altair Astro whom the scope is going back to get the replacement focuser fitted to the scope has not contacted me about collecting the telescope, which was fully boxed back up on Tuesday. As I am not their customer (the scope was bought from Telescope House) it seems like I am not a priority for them. If I don't hear anything about the collection of the scope by this Friday coming up, then I am going to request a refund from Telescope House for the faulty scope, and source a another refractor from elsewhere. :( 

I would say that by rights you purchased from Telescope House and so they are who the scope should be returned to. If TH want to then forward it to Altair that is their decision, or they get a new focuser, replace and check it out, repackage then send this back to you.

It might be "easier" for the scope to go direct to Altair but as you say they did not supply the scope but from their aspect Altair are picking up the return shipping cost that TH would otherwise have to do so. It may depend on what arrangements are arranged that the "buying public" do not know of.

The ideal situation would have been TH simply saying it is their responsibility, return it and we will sort it out. AA are somewhat in the situation of the distributor not the retailer and if you have a problem with a Skywatcher scope you return it to the retailer not OVL who are the importer/distributor.

1 hour ago, ronin said:

I would say that by rights you purchased from Telescope House and so they are who the scope should be returned to. If TH want to then forward it to Altair that is their decision, or they get a new focuser, replace and check it out, repackage then send this back to you.

It might be "easier" for the scope to go direct to Altair but as you say they did not supply the scope but from their aspect Altair are picking up the return shipping cost that TH would otherwise have to do so. It may depend on what arrangements are arranged that the "buying public" do not know of.

The ideal situation would have been TH simply saying it is their responsibility, return it and we will sort it out. AA are somewhat in the situation of the distributor not the retailer and if you have a problem with a Skywatcher scope you return it to the retailer not OVL who are the importer/distributor.

I thought the scope was initially going to go back to Telescope House, but then found out Altair where going to arrange collect it. Really not satisfied with this, so going to give them an ultimatum of Friday to either collect the scope to get the focuser fixed, or get a full refund on the scope and look elsewhere. 

Telescope got picked up yesterday afternoon to go back to Altair Astro for a new (so I was told) focuser to be fitted, and the optics tested in case of any problems. Now I just need to wait and see how long it takes till I get it back again. Fingers crossed hoping maybe late next week, but we'll wait and see. 

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Fingers crossed!

Yep, everything crossed. I repacked the scope with bubble wrap and paper to fill up the whole of the inside of the box for extra protection on the scope. I'm hoping Altair send it back with this extra protection I added to it too, just in case of any more mishaps in transit. 

8 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Good news, I hope the experience hasn't tainted your first light with the scope...  What you pointing it at first!?

Got the scope delivered OK and just checking it over. No damaged packaging this time, and Altair Astro repacked the scope with the extra bubble wrap that I sent it back with. The focuser is working OK, although there was a part on the wheels of the focuser that made a slight noise when turning, and also made it feel a little gritty as you turned it. A carefully little squirt of silicone lubricant into the joints of the all the focuser wheels seems to have sorted out that issue. Going to hopefully test it out first (weather permitting) on Saturn & Mars first tonight. If all goes well and the optics are fine, and the focuser holds up OK then I'll hopefully keep the scope, but need some clear nights first to finally make up my mind whether it is a keeper or not. I certainly like the look of the telescope itself, and it would be a shame if it didn't work out as it looks a great looking telescope.

Below is a pic of the Altair Astro 102mm f11 frac on my Skytee 2, along with my Skywatcher Startravel 120mm f5 frac.  

image.jpeg

She's a beaut! What serial number is it? Just curious is all as I think you mentioned that no more were available...

I had to give my focuser a tweak.. it was a bit "soft" for my liking, and it rotated too freely, but the odd grab screw adjust here and there and it's a very capably unit.. 

It's a nice set up you've put together.. I keep thinking of ditching the 200p for a startravel 120 or 150 so it's good to see the scale against something I recognise!.

Love my starwave to bits.. hope you will too.. Good luck with you r first light..

ta

Fozzie

Archived