Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope fail

Well, the day finally arrived today that I received my new Altair Starwave 102mm f11 refractor. Like another member who bought one a year or so ago, when I opened the box I was very underwhelmed with the level of packaging for such a long scope. After getting it out and checking for any damage visually I could see none as such on the scope itself only on the box, but when it came to the focuser that was a different story. Whilst it looked OK, as soon as you touch it there is a few millimetres movement on the focuser in all directions as it attaches to the body of the scope, almost like it is not attached or screwed in properly. Things get even worse when trying to move the focuser itself, which feels like there are gears meshing and grinding together. All in all this scope is not a happy bunny at all. Phoned Telescope House up whom I bought it from, who are contacting Altair Astro themselves as they shipped the order itself. Hoping it doesn't take too long to get a replacement sent out. Doesnt speak well of DHL who delivered it! So first light will have to wait a while longer. Groan! :(

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's upsetting when things like that happen; you just want your shiny new scope to be perfect don't you?

The important thing though is that you are well looked after by your supplier. I had a similar thing, again with TelescopeHouse, although let's be clear, in neither case was it any fault of theirs. I ordered and received  next day a 3.7mm Ethos SX, not a cheap purchase. When I opened it, I was pretty shocked to see that there was a large patch of damaged coating in the centre of the exit lens!

TH sorted collection and re-supply very quickly so I was in possession of a perfect eyepiece very quickly. I'm sure you will get sorted very soon, let us know how you get on.

It's amazing how much stuff arrives damaged nowadays, due to the inadequate packaging, you'd have thought suppliers would be aware of the treatment their equipment gets at the hands of the modern day courier.

My son recently ordered a new window for his camper van, cost £600.00 and had 3 damaged ones delivered, all with matching damage, before an undamaged on arrived.

No one seemed bothered :icon_scratch:

Had something delivered this week and when the guy opened the back of his lorry an avalanche of boxes fell out in the road.

Dave

The Tak packaging is very impressive but then it ought to be !

I guess though any firm that deals in sending these items out really ought to pack them in a way which offers a good standard of protection, regardless of their purchase price.

Sorry to hear about the issues with the 4" F/11 but TH will sort it out for you I'm sure.

A few years ago I bought my lightbridge from telescope house and it had a broken part on the altitude brake due to poor packaging by meade. I rang them on the day of delivery and they asked me to send a picture of the broken bit so they knew exactly what part I was referring to. That same afternoon they sent me a replacememt part taken from their display model along with a second spare and these arrived the following day. Great service.

Im sure you will have a similar level of service from them as I did.

Cheers

How frustrating that is. I received my SW 100ED pro this morning, thankfully in good order.

I did spend 4wks at a courier firm as a relief driver and was astounded by the way the guys throw parcels around and kick boxes across the floor, it beggars belief.

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's upsetting when things like that happen; you just want your shiny new scope to be perfect don't you?

The important thing though is that you are well looked after by your supplier. I had a similar thing, again with TelescopeHouse, although let's be clear, in neither case was it any fault of theirs. I ordered and received  next day a 3.7mm Ethos SX, not a cheap purchase. When I opened it, I was pretty shocked to see that there was a large patch of damaged coating in the centre of the exit lens!

TH sorted collection and re-supply very quickly so I was in possession of a perfect eyepiece very quickly. I'm sure you will get sorted very soon, let us know how you get on.

Yeah, not blaming Telescope House in anyway. Just wanted my new shiny toy to be perfect! On the plus side the weather for the next few days is going to pretty dire, so no loss in waiting a little longer for first light. :) 

49 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

It's amazing how much stuff arrives damaged nowadays, due to the inadequate packaging, you'd have thought suppliers would be aware of the treatment their equipment gets at the hands of the modern day courier.

My son recently ordered a new window for his camper van, cost £600.00 and had 3 damaged ones delivered, all with matching damage, before an undamaged on arrived.

No one seemed bothered :icon_scratch:

Had something delivered this week and when the guy opened the back of his lorry an avalanche of boxes fell out in the road.

Dave

Makes you wonder how manufacturers can stay in business if couriers destroy delicate things like these. I guess the work 'fragile' written on any boxes is just wilfully ignored! ?

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

Makes you wonder how manufacturers can stay in business if couriers destroy delicate things like these. I guess the work 'fragile' written on any boxes is just wilfully ignored! ?

I think sticking "fragile" on stuff just encourages them to throw it about, boxes of cornflakes are better wrapped than some stuff I've had delivered.

Dave

41 minutes ago, John said:

The Tak packaging is very impressive but then it ought to be !

I guess though any firm that deals in sending these items out really ought to pack them in a way which offers a good standard of protection, regardless of their purchase price.

Sorry to hear about the issues with the 4" F/11 but TH will sort it out for you I'm sure.

Yeah, the level of packaging was pretty dire really for the kind of length it is! ?

image.jpeg

41 minutes ago, astronymonkey said:

A few years ago I bought my lightbridge from telescope house and it had a broken part on the altitude brake due to poor packaging by meade. I rang them on the day of delivery and they asked me to send a picture of the broken bit so they knew exactly what part I was referring to. That same afternoon they sent me a replacememt part taken from their display model along with a second spare and these arrived the following day. Great service.

Im sure you will have a similar level of service from them as I did.

Cheers

Hope so. Although in this case the actually supplier of the scope is Altair Astro as Telescope House don't keep these scopes in stock. Fingers crossed all goes well! :) 

40 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

How frustrating that is. I received my SW 100ED pro this morning, thankfully in good order.

I did spend 4wks at a courier firm as a relief driver and was astounded by the way the guys throw parcels around and kick boxes across the floor, it beggars belief.

Yes, pretty shocking. What ever happened to pride in job? Now all it seems to be is haste only! 

32 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

i think the couriers need to start respecting our goods, thay should be fined everytime something get broken, things would soon start arriving in good order. hope thay get you sorted soon. charl.

Spot on Charl. Well said mate. Exactly right! :) Fine 'em for every item broken or lost and they'd soon have to tell their staff to handle things correctly.. 

24 minutes ago, Dave Lloyd said:

That's disgraceful, I complain about excessive packaging but delicate stuff needs protecting properly.

Yeah. Altair Astro need to protect their scopes better. From the damage to the package it looks as though it's had a drop of the focuser end, which the light packaging couldn't cope with. ??

12 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I think sticking "fragile" on stuff just encourages them to throw it about, boxes of cornflakes are better wrapped than some stuff I've had delivered.

Dave

Yep. Seems 'fragile' is delivery code for 'smash the hell out of me please!' in their eyes! 

26 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Yeah, the level of packaging was pretty dire really for the kind of length it is! ?

image.jpeg

That is shockingly bad :sad:

Compare that with what Matthews 76mm Tak arrived in:

takbox.jpg

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

It's probably come all the way from China in that box, wonder it's not got worse damage.

Dave

Thing is, it would come from China safely packed in a cargo container. The damage gets done after it arrives I should think.

Archived