Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings

Paul Riley

As you can see,I am a new member and I just wanted to pass my regards to you all.

I would say I am at an intermediate level when it comes to general discussion on science/astronomy and related subjects,but am a complete beginner at practical astronomy itself,if you follow me.

I am also considering my first scope,and will like to chat to some of you about this when the time comes to buying.

See you all for now.

:thumbright:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What can I say...but really good to see all this support,certainly beats the level of receptiveness found in some areas of the internet.

Just thought I would BRIEFLY describe a little about myself here.Other than Astronomy/and also the possibilities of alien life (which seriously interests me also) I spend almost most of my time either at my computer or modifying it in some way,having spent about 7 or 8 years building and modding PCs (mine and a couple of friends).I am currently undertaking the COMP TIA A+ computer maintenance/technician course also,and am about 2/3rds the way through it.

Anyway,I dont want to deviate off course too much here hehe.Oh I forgot,PC gaming too,obviously.

As for my location,I come from Sheffield,but I have my reservations about the quality of the skies sometimes around here,but we DO have places like Redmires (if anyone knows this area?,its very high and desolate),and Castleton which is not too far away.The Peak District also sounds a natural choice for quality viewing,am I right?.

Finally,as so many people have commended this forum,so shall I,it is friendly,seemingly packed with info,what more could you ask for?.

Well,thanks again,and see you soon,probaby in about 30 mins in fact hehe.

Tell you what,I saw one bloke's scope in here,Steve I think is his name,and I have been drooling already at that one and the shots he managed.It looks blumming huge!,and the shots deep inside the universe have quite simply astounded me,I didnt realise such shots were possible.

Does anyone have any links to a UK supplier of this scope?.One site I have been frequenting recently is this one http://www.telescopesandbinoculars.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

They look very extensive in their range.

Regards,Paul.

Thanks doc and phil,like ive known you for years haha.

I really am eager to get my first scope now.

Just a random thought here,but as I am 33 I sometimes feel as though I have missed out on some of those years I SHOULD have bought a scope,you know?.I appreciate some of the older people in here,but they have more than likely been into this for years,and had an entire armoury of equipment.Still,there is no time like the present eh? :mrgreen: <-- envious

Thanks doc and phil,like ive known you for years haha.

I really am eager to get my first scope now.

Just a random thought here,but as I am 33 I sometimes feel as though I have missed out on some of those years I SHOULD have bought a scope,you know?.I appreciate some of the older people in here,but they have more than likely been into this for years,and had an entire armoury of equipment.Still,there is no time like the present eh? :mrgreen: <-- envious

Paul start a new thread concerning your purchase of a new scope. As if we do it here it will get lost amoungst all the "greetings"

Tell you what,I saw one bloke's scope in here,Steve I think is his name,and I have been drooling already at that one and the shots he managed.It looks blumming huge!,and the shots deep inside the universe have quite simply astounded me,I didnt realise such shots were possible. Does anyone have any links to a UK supplier of this scope?

Welcome Paul, you will be hard pressed to find a better place for information and helpful advice. Also it appears you have been swayed by the dark side....the bug for imaging becomes an expensive and slippery slope*, an obsession even.... and swooning and drooling over astro kit is quite normal :shocked:

(* - No, FAR FAR worse than you were thinking... no, worse than that too!)

Centroid,

Just been looking at your observatory project,very impressive.

All this reminds me of when I first got into PC building and modding for the first time,the sleepless nights and the want for ever more powerful equipment.There really is no end to it is there :shock:

Sigh,looks like its gonna happen all over again for me,with Astronomy.

Well done.

Talitha is a star, also known as Iota Ursae Majoris and 9 UMa.

During the last solar max I was filling out an Aurora report form, and one of the questions asked the identity of the the star closest to the horizon that was visible through the glow. I made a quick sketch and checked later.. turns out it was Talitha. I've liked the name ever since. :shocked:

Archived