SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Street Lamps

Astro Imp

Just walked down to the village and noticed the local council are about halfway to changing the lights to new LED lights.

Will be interesting to see what if any difference the new lights make to observing in my back garden.

I'll keep you all posted when I get a night without the pesky clouds.

They have just finished installing LED ones in my village the other night. I had a wonder outside into my garden although it was cloudy they don't have an obnoxious orange glow seeping into my garden now but they are bright when looking at them which may cause your eyes to un-adjust to the darkness. The next clear night i'm going to test what happens when doing long exposures close the the new street lamps

Just had ours changed to LEDs I our street,  For some reason there seems to be no change to the lamp unit - there is no downward direction to the light .

Not sure if its going to cause an issue for my imaging - when I eventually do start imaging again ?

ive got them down my street Alan, the loads better than the old ones, the light is white but it projected down so just above the lamp post is pitch black and best of all is the orange glow in the sky at the front of my house has gone, id say a 80% improvement in the overall darkness. clear skys charl.

Yeh although they are fairly hard to filter out the shades on them are much better so they don't scatter light from the lamp itself.  You obviously still get some scatter from the things it is illuminating though.

Fortunately they also get turned off late at night :)

Had them for a couple of months. The light is better directed, but reflections are more of a problem. Another problem I have is for some reason the one nearest my house is a good 3 feet higher than the old lamp. I contacted the council and was told this was not possible. I suggested they come and look as for some unknown reason they left the old lamp post standing.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your post on this subject. I hope you find they only light the highway and not overspill into your sky. Where I live the council are swapping lights for led ones as they need changing. One column that was fitted with a sodium lamp that lit up the large tree below us was replaced and fitted with a led when we were on holiday and has completely removed the glow into the tree so it is very dark now looking North. 

Cheers,
Steve

4 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Had them for a couple of months. The light is better directed, but reflections are more of a problem. Another problem I have is for some reason the one nearest my house is a good 3 feet higher than the old lamp. I contacted the council and was told this was not possible. I suggested they come and look as for some unknown reason they left the old lamp post standing.

The ones in the village are attached to the old lamp posts.

Hi Alan,

Our street was done about a month back, yes... they just replaced the old lamps with new LEDS at the same height. No orange glow, the new lamps light the street better with a longer spread lengthwise, even though the lamp is on our side of the street, my front garden is not lit, but surprise, surprise, a larger part of my neighbour's garden across the street is. They don't at the moment appear to light the sky. And the Council usually switch them off around 23:30 pm.

A big improvement!!

Cheers

Adrian

Lights Before.jpgLights After.jpg

This is my before and after shots of lights in the next street.   The new lights have great back shields (one light is now invisible) and cast a lot less light spill in all directions and nothing upwards.   Next door's garden light is illuminating the houses from this side but I can fix that by putting a bucket over it while I'm outside.

John

Here in Stockholm there is an ongoing change to LED as well. I have also noticed that the new lights are better directed downwards, which is a definite progress. I have no idea and could not figure out from the literature yet if there is any negative effect arising from the fact that this new illumination is "bluer" than the previous one. Another interesting question for me is what will happen in winter, when the snow will reflect a big proportion of this light back to the sky. Will be interesting to see. Cheers!

In the cul-de-sac i live in there are only 3 lamps servicing 12 bungalows. They give off very little light. Its the annoying orange glow stuff though. It doesnt bother me much if i decide to observe from out the front rather than the back. I hope the image shows up correctly. I'm having a bit of bother with my imaging package.

Untitled.jpg

3 hours ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

Hi, I believe there are no filters to combat LED Lighting. I saw this by chance on Ebay so i could be wrong ?

Filter LED Skylight Pollution, for Nebula or Galaxy, Improved Skyglow 48mm 2_ _ eBay.html

The LED street lamps emit light over a broad spectrum which is why they appear white.

There is no way to filter them out without also dimming stars, reflection nebulae and galaxies.  In this respect they are much the same as sky glow from the moon.

However since emission nebulae are narrow band then either a UHC filter or a narrowband filter will greatly increase contrast on these targets.

Archived