NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Disaster!

David Smith

Happily grabbing a shed load of Ca-K data yesterday when all of a sudden - laptop blue screen of death! That was the last time it did anything useful and all my attempts to recover it have failed. It's off to the laptop hospital this morning, fingers crossed. Until it returns I will be white light only.

Ouch. I hope you can retrieve the data Dave. I buy used laptops and always expect the worse. Mine is subjected to the heat of the sun (it is mostly covered but often gets sunlight beating down on parts of it ) , and I know they weren't built for that sort of thing. Our reliance on delicate electronics has good and bad aspects.

Good luck with it!

-Charles

It's already running Win 10 so I can't even blame it on that!

I have been having with SharpCap lately where it crashes every time I switch from one settings profile to the other. I have just worked with it as I have not gotten around to trying to debug it. Possible that the crashes finally caused some sort of corruption and this caused the failure. However I would have expected to be able to recover this using recovery partition.....alas not.

21 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

You should be able to boot from a USB stick if it's just the drive that has died, worth fitting a SSD disc if you have to have a new one.

Dave

I managed to boot from a DVD and could "see" the disk which is promising.

Sorry to hear that. I'm mostly a Mac user & so unfamiliar with the BSOD ;-)

Shame that most of the astro-related software doesn't work with Mac.

I do have a windows7 lappy though and was trying to experiment with Sharpcap 2.9 yesterday.

Couldn't get anything but a blue sun & I don't think that's right lol

Thanks all. Picked the laptop up tonight. They had to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows so I have spent the evening trying to get it back to where I need it. I think I have most of the packages I need back on but have not tested them all.

Does anyone know where I can get an old version of a QHY driver? The version of the QHY5-II Mono driver on the QHY website is not the one I was using before and I don't seem to have a copy of it :BangHead: The newer driver seems to work but I do not have all the options I had previously, including the "Mono16" colourspace.

Archived