NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need some career help here

Astroboy239

Hi all, I don't know if this is the right place. 

I want to do my career in Astrophysics and astronomy but I just don't know what do I do? Biology or geology? Which University (anywhere in the world works for me!). If I can get help I'll be really happy. 

Varad 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go with geology. Because I think you could study something actually. With Biology on the other hand there is not a prominent field to work in. But if you want astrophysics you will study astrophysics or physics. I don't get it... Why study Biology or Geology..?

Within astronomy, there is considerable interest in the structure of planets, meteors, asteroids etc. so I would think geology could be very useful indeed.

While astrobiology is a growing discipline, I would imagine that a general course in biology would have less relevance overall.

Geology is probably marginally better because the rocky planets all have geology but they don't have life. Ultimately, I wouldn't think it would matter that much as what is important for an astrophysics degree is maths, maths, maths and of course some physics.

I would say geology would be very useful for astronomy. The study of planets is still very new and there's much to investigate.

Xenobiology sounds interesting but there isn't really a clear area of study.

I'm unsure about your choices and at what level you are studying.  From your comment "Which University (anywhere in the world works for me!)." suggests you might study at university/degree level anywhere in the world.  But then you say "In my country in science (under graduate)  we have to select between geo and bio, maths physics and chemistry is compulsory" suggesting you are not looking anywhere in the world (or maybe not at University level).

If looking anywhere in world at degree level, different Universities/courses have many different subject requirements and questions about what to study on those courses would depend on the University you have a place at.  If pre University then the considerations are very different.

If pre-Univeristy, I found (some time ago) that Universities were more interested in your having demonstrated an ability rather than seeking too much specific knowledge.  That said they do tend to want certain knowledge.  My 1st year at university I had to study a couple of additional subjects (I didn't really want to) because my school courses I selected did not include certain material (i.e. they were requiring the courses to make up for shortcomings in my school subjects).  It was not a big deal and did not impact my being offered a place.  I am a great believer in giving high priority to subjects that interest you - you enjoy them more, learn more, achieve more and that can make getting a university place easier.  But it's a balance because study French, German and Art History and you will have trouble getting into University to do a degree in nuclear physics.

I think a lot depends on the educational level you are thinking about and if currently at school, what Universities you in practice might be able to attend and what their entrance requirements are.

Ian

7 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

I'm my country I can do a degree in. Physics and maths but no one offers astrophysics. That's the point I need to travel 

Varad 

So I assume you are talking about pre-University course selection with a view to getting into University.  Comment below assumes that you are selecting courses pre-university entrance.

If you are looking a going to a University overseas, then different countries will have different entrance requirements.  You may be constrained about which countries you can study in (e.g. visas, course costs, living costs, etc.).  So I'd look around and potential countries and potential courses (given visa, cost, etc. constraints) and see what their entrance requirements are.  Maybe even contact some about your choices.  different countries operate different educational systems (e.g. different numbers of subjects at pre-university stage) so you need to appreciate how your own educational system fits in with their entrance requirements.  also what sorts of grades you are expecting in relation to the sort of grades they would require.  I suspect they would require only Maths and Physics any additional related subjects would help your application but would probably not be "assumed knowledge" on starting the course.  But check with potential Universities.

Things like costs can be significant and you will may find grants and bursaries harder to find for studying overseas - so such factory may be constraints.

You need to provide more information about where you are at with your education, etc. because it's really answering without knowing the situation (I did ask before but you must have missed it).

Ian

First off when you say Geology you need to narrow that as Geology is actually an epic field and some of it wont be of any use for a career in NASA. I dont think they have any equipment on Juno to detect dinosaur fossils.  So you might have to study a narrow field within geology like Mineralology or Vulcanology. 

Also there are definitely growing opportunities within the realms of biology for those that want to work in the astro related arena. But again you may have to narrow the field slightly to something like microbiology. NASA certainly have biologists employed and help plan new missions and many companys that make equipment for those missions employ them to help design sensors. 

Varad, I would go along with Jeff's recommendation and make sure you have both Physics and Maths at the appropriate university entry level. Don't know if it is any help to you but I've posted a link to the University of Glasgow which offers a Physics with Astrophysics undergraduate course.  You can see from the mandatory entry requirements that they specify Physics and Mathematics (two or three additional subjects also required pending on grades held and reflecting the Scottish school certificate system).  If you are looking to study at a foreign university you may well find it useful to contact the admissions department directly to discuss academic entry requirements and your subject choices - I would also seek advice on the points they award to your particular school certificates.  For example if you are following the International Baccalaureate Glasgow University would require 36 points for their standard entry route. If you are offering other national certificates you would really need to discuss their suitability with the individual university. Hope that helps.

Physics with Astrophysics - University of Glasgow

Jim

Maths, Physics and Chemistry, I assume at A-level or equivalent, would get you into a UK university. From Geology and Biology choose the one you will enjoy most and are most likely to get a decent grade in without killing yourself, so you can focus on good grades in the three that will matter most.

I never studied Physics or Chemistry in school. I took Biology as my science subject. I enjoyed it and did well in exams. I was really in to all aspects of Geography, which obviously included Geology (Volcanic, plate techtonics etc). I really sank my teeth into that......it helped that i had a great teacher. I did extremely well in all exams.

If i had ever decided on a career in astrophysics....(im rubbish at math so was never likely to).....geology would have been top of my list of subjects to study further.

• 2 weeks later...

There was is Interest enough in Geology  to warrant sending the American Geologist Harrison Schmitt to the Moon
to study the lunar rocks and bring back samples. One of the revelations to come out of that study, 
 was the indication that the moon once had a Magnetic Field. 
So of course geology has a vital role in planetary studies, once we have the ability to reach the planets.
Study of samples brought back to earth will require trained geologists to investigate them.
Biology has  an Important role, but I think Biology must have priority.

3 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

But in what field? Mechanical /aeronautical? 

I thought you had to choose one of the two in addition to the subjects you choose yourself ?
That in mind, I thought Geology was a more practical subject to pursue, but based on the only example I could apply,
and that was the Astronaut Schmitt's  Moon walk, who was chosen because of his geological knowledge.
I'm sure Biology will have place in Astro Physics, but I have no Idea to what extent.

22 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

But in what field? Mechanical /aeronautical? 

Where and at what level are you talking about here?  Are these option considerations for school level certificates.

Jim

When I got my BSc(hons) Astronomy and Planetary Science, although some general knowledge in geology would have helped (planetary surface features etc), and a little bit of background biology (biological signatures for life markers), these are a drop in the ocean compared to the physics involved. Mathematics is the language of physics, without a good grasp of calculus and mathematics in general, it would have been impossible! 

Archived