Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar viewing

Hi I would like to maybe start viewing the sun with my evostar, question is ok to do this with my scope? I would make filters for the objective and the finder with badder solar film would that be ok? and would I be able to use my lenses that I have such as the celestron x-cels 8mm 18mm?

+1 for yes.

The atmospheric seeing tends to be the limiting factor for the magnification. Around 100x or slightly above generally works on my 4". I haven't yet tried setting up in a large meadow. That might give you a steadier atmosphere.

Make sure that the filter attaches securely to the objective and even then apply a few pieces of tape to make it extra safe. 

I use an Evostar 120 for visual and imaging, it's a very capable scope and excellent if you go further and get into narrow band (H Alpha / Ca-K). Lots of images on my Flickr page (link in sig). Good luck with your filter making and hope you enjoy the light side.

Well, it's all been written above. You're on your way and you will enjoy solar viewing, I'm sure.

However, it can become addictive and you may be tempted to go further ?, as David has hinted above.

That said, be aware that things are very quiet in white light at present, so temper your expectations. And we are heading towards solar minimum ...

Now then, that's just a wee touch of Scottish Calvinism to make sure you don't think the bright side is always bright. ???

Hi yes I saw that solar minimum is approaching its just another thing I would like to try, I'm looking forward to actually just seeing the sun as another target that I have viewed. I just love this

hobby and solar viewing is another side of it I'm going to have fun exploring, all be it if our skies clear a bit! anyway clear skies to all. Scott

Thanks again guy's and yes i can imagine it will be very addictive. And thanks Mark for the link i will make one very simmilar to that idea. ordered the baader solar film today so very much looking forward to it. Thanks again Scott.

8 hours ago, scotttumsh said:

Laudropb do you use the skyliner for your solar viewing?

Hi again, Scott. With respect to the venerable laudropb ?, I'd be happy to help here if I can - as, I'm sure, will he. Don't know if you had a specific reason for asking that question but I have used, and occasionally still use, all my scopes (non-Ha) with Baader solar film, including the Skyliner 150. So, if you have any special queries, fire away ...

???

As the recent noob to solar as already mentioned Scott I can vouch for it being a doddle with a reflector. Shove the filter on the end, make sure it's very very very very very very very (did I say very enough times?) secure then point it in the general direction. For precise finding (with the newt anyway) I've found that you know when you're getting there if you look down the eyepiece holder without an eyepiece in place. As the film is a neutral density filter, the view is basically black when it's not pointed at the sun. As you get close it brightens and you know when you're there.

Then pop in your EP and away you go, simples.

Clear skies.

Solar observing is very enjoyable. Nothing better then chilling outside on a lovely sunny day and hopefully seeing a few sunspots. Ive been observing the Sun for just over a year now (not continually.....LOL). Ive seen 2-3 really massive sunspots. 

I decided after many failed attempts at making my own filter to buy a Hershel Wedge and safety filters. The views are better with a wedge compared to the solar film..........but the film works great.

I use a 70mm refractor for my observing. Also in the image on the scope is my Hershel wedge and a Hyperion 8-24mm zoom EP. 

solarscope.jpg

Archived