Hi from murky Yorkshire

shutterbugdavis9

Greeting Stargazers,

I am a wildlife enthusiast who decided to replace my longest lens with a Celestron C5 spotterscope. Now i've been bitten by the astro-bug, sigh. Any advice to make the transition succesful would be welcomed, particularly as I am planning to use my Canon 7D mk ll with the scope and would like to operate it remotely via a tablet. I have also invested in an EQ3-2 mount. Could also do with some clear nights!  

Cheers  Shutterbug9

Hi and welcome to SGL - If youa re thinking that imaging will beyour bag, then get hold of a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the First Light Optics book section. Written by one of the members on here, it's something of a bible for imaging and should be compulsory reading! Read it through once, twice and thrice and then think about what you need and why.... then you are ready to spend some money as needed.

There's a load of us imagers knocking about. Take a look in the imaging section and you can see the sorts of images that get taken with various kit as we almost always say what we used to help others.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Thanks again for the welcomes. Hi Sirius, you're right about the skies. There has not been a decent clear night for a long time, but i can wait. 

Hi proto-star. Indeed there are some excellent high places and open spaces, but also quite a lot of light pollution where i am. I haven't worked out the best place yet. 

Strange really. For many years the large open skies made me feel very small and vulnerable. Enough to not want to gaze to long at it. Now it seems more wonderful than ever, and the thought of gazing is quite exciting. 

Goodnight explorers.

Thanks for the latest greeting, hallo back, particularly equally murky Germany. To star forming in Hull, i'm in Beverley, not so far away. Haven't thought about clubs. That's to come.

Plenty of liquid sunshine at present, a good time to read and browse SGL.  Cheers.

3 hours ago, shutterbugdavis9 said:

Thanks for the latest greeting, hallo back, particularly equally murky Germany. To star forming in Hull, i'm in Beverley, not so far away. Haven't thought about clubs. That's to come.

Plenty of liquid sunshine at present, a good time to read and browse SGL.  Cheers.

Well you are in luck. There are three good astro-clubs that do regular viewing when the clouds allow, plus one that is talk-only. Closest to you is East Riding Astronomers who meet up in.... da da daaaaa.... Beverley! We don't meet in June or July because it's the middle of summer and we don't really get dark skies at this time, otherwise we meet up on the third Monday of the month. Another (and in my opinion the best) group is the North Lincs Astronomers, who meet up at Ness End on the south bank on the 1st Monday of the month (so next Monday). If interested, ask for details and I will give a full wossname on how to get there. The third group, Brough Astronomy (BLAS) meets up at Brough (there's a surprise) on the 4th Monday of the month; again if you want details on how to get there I will post :) 

Hull and East Riding Astronomers (HERA) just meet up on the second Monday of the month at a pub and talk. I am not a member.

Do you have transport? If so, I'd strongly suggest going along to the next North Lincs meeting.

Btw, star forming is just my title on this forum until I've made a few more posts, my actual 'name' is BritAngler ;) 

Hi BritAngler, I should have twigged about the name when another star forming appeared, and i'm listed as a vaccuum, doh!  Thanks for taking the time to reply regarding clubs. I'm not ready yet to join a group, but once I find my feet I will certainly try them out. I have transport, but little time in the week by the time I arrive back home, particularly if I've been working away. I also have a partner who has different ideas for how we spend my spare time, so can be difficult sometimes.

My first job is to assemble my gear and decide how best to tackle the photography side with my existing gear. 

As my other love is photographing dragonflies and butterflies, the weather has put a dampener on that as well.

Never mind good to chat with you instead.

Cheers

Archived