NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is amateur astronomy, well, amateurish?

DHEB

I used to be a professional in that I designed electronic equipment and wrote software for a living.  Now I enjoy being an amateur and still doing the same sort of thing :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Gina said:

I used to be a professional in that I designed electronic equipment and wrote software for a living.  Now I enjoy being an amateur and still doing the same sort of thing :)

Gina, how would you compare your level of enjoyment between the two?  I mean designing and building for fun compared to your professional life.

You must miss having all the resources available in the professional role.

Jim 

The amateur life is definitely better in that I can choose what I do - I guess that goes without saying :D  OTOH yes I DO miss the professional resources.  We had a well equipped laboratory with good test equipment and a vast range of components mostly immediately available.  Now I have to wait for ordered goods to arrive - weeks if coming from China.  I also notice a tremendous difference in available funds :D  Yes, the restraints are different.

2 hours ago, Gina said:

I'm with Gina on this one.  Although not strictly 'professional astronomers' there are enough of us 'amateurs' with the skills to contribute.  

John

4 hours ago, Gina said:

@Gina, After reading so many of your threads, and what you do, I believe there is nothing
you aren't capable of.  In a very nice way, you are a very Extraordinarily Capable  Lady.
Not only the Sophisticated stuff, but I followed your very early thread on building your own Obs. As did many others of course.
I was amazed to see you mixing your own Concrete. Im in Awe of you, I have to confess :icon_salut:.

As one of the people interviewed for the article that began this thread, I am really glad to acknowledge that astronomy can be enjoyed across the whole spectrum from the basic to the advanced. Whist I like doing CCD photometry on variable stars and collaborating with professionals on analysing data and writing papers, I also simply enjoy looking up at the night sky with a pair of binoculars. In fact one of things that I look forward to at the end of an evening in the observatory is spotting meteors with my naked eye.

Astronomy is here for us to enjoy at whatever level we choose to pursue it.

Jeremy

I do astronomy for fun and enjoyment.

I don't think we really need to justify our hobby by talk of 'making a contribution' to professional astronomy.

If that is what some like to do, then that is fine too.

2 hours ago, Kropster said:

I do astronomy for fun and enjoyment.

I don't think we really need to justify our hobby by talk of 'making a contribution' to professional astronomy.

If that is what some like to do, then that is fine too.

Agree!

Many amateurs do add a hell of a lot to professional astronomy. 

Personally i do it just to look at pretty things. I dont plan sessions, i dont care about the physics of the universe. I dont care about the mechanics involved with telescopes etc. I just admire the views..........plain and simple.

Archived